oliver 361 planer spindle bearing replacement

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

Todd

oliver 361 planer spindle bearing replacement

Post by Todd »

I'm trying to remove the armature off the cuter cylinder to replace the bearings. Is there anything holding the armature on besides the key way and a press fit. It will not budge. Any help would be appreciated. :?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

H iTodd, on my 399 I needed to modify my bearing puller to get it out. you can see the whole thread here http://machinejunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144 I have never worked on a 361, but would assume it is similar.

Todd

Post by Todd »

HI Crzypete
On the 361 you must remove the field 1st because the enclosed bearing housing is so large. Then the spindle will slide out. We been soaking the shaft with Kroil and used a hydraulic puller but it will not move at all. I don't see anything besides a key in the shaft. It does not seem right that this would pull off so hard. Was there any thing besides a key on the 399 ?

Thanks
Todd
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

There were two set screws from below that held the windings in place.

Truthfully, It was a very long time ago and I don't fully remember why it was so hard. I mean it all looks so easy and matter of fact when I review the pictures!

Peter
Todd

Post by Todd »

Well I soaked it all night put the hydraulic puller on and she finally came off.It only took 35 ton and a small amount of heat. Would never have thought that it would take that much pressure. Went at it very carefully and all is good.

Thanks for your help
Todd :D