wadkin pk slider. debut pic heavy.

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

tool613

wadkin pk slider. debut pic heavy.

Post by tool613 »

hope you guys like English machines. i just finished a 1950 wadkin pk slider.

i have been on the hunt to set the bentch shop up with wadkin and the pk is the lastest addition

check it out

tool613
chathamworkshop

Post by chathamworkshop »

Wow! What a restoration. This saw looks better than when it came of the
manufacturing floor. Might be a candidate for the British Museum.

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

This saw is quite awesome. Thanks for posting the pics.

I am interested in your rebuilding. What was the original condition? Methods used in stripping? bondo? polishing? and painting?

Also, how about some specs on the saw? Direct drive? how much throw does the slider have? How tight and accurate is the slider? what size blade does it accept?

I can't say I have seen many Wadkin machines in my day, but this is certainly a winner. Arthur Fuege's two lathes confirm that it is a company that I wish to see more of. (I'll link to Arthur's lathes later, his site seems to be down at the moment.)

P
tool613

Post by tool613 »

pete this post should answer all your question
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83936
Arthur Fuege's two lathes confirm that it is a company that I wish to see more of
you mean like this lathe
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=70658

Arthur has a better and more complete pk then mine. he had it shipped form england.

the lasted is my wadkin DR. i will do a rebuild this winter.

thats my buddy hutch
do i look happy?

tool613
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

So that's hutch. I imagined him more like the green lantern. I mean. If you whole shop is green how do you not wear any green clothing? I mean seriously that red jacket is not mean......

The lathe looks awesome as well. Yours? I believe it is the same as the one i was liking of Arthur's. Unfortunately his page does not seem to be loading still.

The bandsaw looks nice as well. Curious if it has a hand crank to tilt the table? Also curious to the nature of the construction of the wheels?

WHat is the approximate vintage of all of these machines? Were they imported into canada more heavily than the US?

I am impressed that you did the Table saw rebuild with no metal working equipment. Using your pattern-makers lathe as a metal lathe is resourceful, yet limited. A metal lathe and mill must be in your future.....

Pete
Last edited by crzypete on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tool613

Post by tool613 »

pete

i am sorry that you need more tooling than me to get the job done. lol

thats is my lathe. its a larger RS than Arthurs, but Arthur has the wadkin RU truly an amazing lathe.

here is what i have on the DR band saw

jack
tool613

Post by tool613 »

nektai

Post by nektai »

I cant tell if the operator stopped the saw? How long does it take to wind down?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

tool613 wrote:pete

i am sorry that you need more tooling than me to get the job done. lol

jack
Ok, you don;t think I can let this one go do you? :mrgreen:

Firstly as a man with those saws and that lathe, you are not exactly one of those guys who doesn't appreciate a good tool and wants to show me how they can make miracles out of garbage.

I had a "discussion" with a machinist a while back who was telling me how good he was because he was turning out aerospace parts on a clapped out south bend. My response was, if your that good wouldn't you be better and faster on a decent machine.

It's like the best concert violinist. They are going to sound pretty darned good on a cheap violin, but wouldn't you rather hear them play a Stradivarius?

For me, machines are great. The more and better they are, the happier I am because I can make things either better or faster. When I make better things faster, I get to make more things. What could be better than that?

All I was saying in my first post was, I'd like to see you own a metal lathe. You will be amazed, and hopefully we will all be amazed as well.

Pete :D

BTW, Arthur loaded a bunch of his wadkin machines to owwm

Here are his two wadkin lathes
http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11637
http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11639
tool613

Post by tool613 »

Pete

well said. just haveing fun. as far as getting things done faster here is a story.

the guy with all the tools make every thing. so lets make some thing like a simple cabinet door . we will start with the cuter. with the right tools you will take a 1/3 day. i will be done the door by that time. i can come of with hundreds of reasons why i would need a metal working machine. the fact is i am a wood worker,i make thing in wood. when i need machinist work i hire the man. i under stand the tool thing (Tim the tool man ) was a popular show that shows the nature in men.

What's that saying about a good craftsman never blaming his tools?
it should also say lack of tools. if you ask me a shop is not a room full of tools.and having every tools sounds great. using the best of some tools is a joy, mastering one of them takes a life time. how long does it take to master them all? the thing about the artistic doing better work with better tools is based in good logic. the fact of the matter is they are starving and never get to uses the best.

Pete it all about making things that is for sure. it is not the tools its the craftsman that makes the shop.

tool613
[/quote]
hutch

Post by hutch »

So that's hutch. I imagined him more like the green lantern. I mean. If you whole shop is green how do you not wear any green clothing? I mean seriously that red jacket is not mean......

hey I have some Blue machines in here too
wait a min and I'll find a picture of me in green

here is a better picture , from just the other day at Jack's place
well thats a blue/green jacket

well that picture is better than the stund looking picture
of me that he usually posts all over the damb world LOL

I'm the one who helps jack stay broke , finds him wadkins
and gets him better deals
Hutch

"It's gotta be GREEN, to be MEAN "