SB_ at it again

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

mystry_tour

SB_ at it again

Post by mystry_tour »

though you might want to see the new project...

Its been an istresting winter. I will be glad to switch to some wood working this summer. Then I get to use these to make a few wood working tools.... :wink:
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Been busy cleaning stripping, cleaning stripping. I will have a few pics in a few days of the parts going together and some of the painting. It has been a little cool for paint in my area. Its really a big mess trying to keep things going waiting for parts and trying to work around obsticals
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
nektai

Post by nektai »

I am very impressed. I dont think I have ever seen a metal lathe taken apart to this level. I would be terrified that i would forget a part when it goes back together. What is your system for keeping things straight? I have resorted to shooting video of some of my complicated projects. It has saved my backside more than a few times.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

:lol: It's called parts diagram and piles. I keep a parts dia. along with a "pile" that way when It gos back together I have a list of parts that gos with that particular item Ie apron, cross slide ,head ect. The parts diagram shows all the parts and where they go. So if your done and you haae a part left you know you did something wrong and you need to find that part on the diagram and see where it gos
Reg
guzziguy

Post by guzziguy »

where does the cheese sandwich go? :lol:

joël
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

LOL....befor or after I eat it
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

A few more pics of the base getting ready to paint. I won't take it to the metal because I have to clean the bondo too and I am not excited about doing any bondo work. I will get the rust off and feather it all to match and shoot it

The try I did take to the metal since it is flat stock and there was very little bondo in it. Only around the conors under neath.
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well a little more progress

And my poor shope is need of a clean up from my winter hurry up projects and the metal shop doings

Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Reg,

The Lathe is looking great.

Also Thanks for the shop overview, They are definitely the most telling pics I have seen of your space- looks very comfortable and quite spacious.

I see you have the big doors open, I am guessing it is getting warm down that way. Hoe soon until you can start planting? our snow is finally melting up here- Spring is closing in on being a reality.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Wow Pete, I thought I had posted pic of my shop. I will get you a tour as soon as I get the main componets of the lathe back together. No clean up or stageing just as it is at the moment.
Planting :mrgreen: I already got peas, onions, lettus, spinish out. Going to put out potatoes, turnips, radishes, carrotts out in a few days. Got tomatoes growing in the house to trans plant when it gets warm enough...
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well its a little more progress

New bearings for the spindle

all the goodies for the apron

thought I might as well refresh the light too

And we can start putting it back together.

Still have a lot of work to do shimming the head putting the apron together fuigaring out the oil felts but It will be a bit yet. Its gardening time and I have to split my time.....not to mention the oven I have to build.....that will be intresting
Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

reg, thanks for all of the detailed progress picks, i have been enjoying your lathe adventure.

Can you detail what you are doing with the bearings- I have no experience seeing them replaced on a South Bend- didn't even know it was possible.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Here's a few pics of the QCGB put together
along with the gear I have been waiting for

Pete, heres a cpl pics of the bearing and the "spreader" that I am able to ajust the bearing tightness with. The holes are tapped giveing me access from the outside of the cap to change the dia slightly. Heres what they look like assembledImage

I will be starting on the apron tomorrow since it will be raining and I can't get into the garden.

Reg
CThib

Post by CThib »

Reg, looks like one heck of a project. I'm just about to start my first ever rebuild and repaint. Just out of curiosity what are you using for paint/primer? I really like the two tone you've got going with the copper? colored handle.
Thanks
Craig