Powermatic 1200

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

mystry_tour

Powermatic 1200

Post by mystry_tour »

Well I got the 1200 down today. Sorry I don't have any pics this time but it was so nasty I wasn't allowed in the house to get the cam :shock: . I'll soak tonight and grab a few quick one tomorrow and let you see that mess. It's a good thing I powerwashed it before I took it into the shop or I might be spending a few night there getting the mess off.
Dose anyone know if they still vat engins at machine shops. I think this one will end up there is I can get someone to vat it for me
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well heres a few pics of the 1200 after I got it down. I found a few bearing that need replacing. None of the expensive one just some little ones. I'll get them mon. Tomorrow I'll spray it dwon with oven cleaner and take it to the car wash to get the rest of the gunk off and get it ready to paint...
A few of the smaller parts I wire wheeled and went ahead and primered so it would't rust while I did the main castings
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well I made a little more progress over the last few days. Mostly cleaning the gunk and crap off. I used easy off oven cleaner. It even took some paint too. I found a couple bearing that I need to replace and all the belts will go.
Still a lot to be done but now I have the major parts finished now all I need to do is start hanging the parts on them
Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Looking good reg, you are coming along quickly with that press.

Careful with that oven cleaner- it is some nasty stuff. My preferred nasty stuff is a big dunk tank of lacquer thinner.

Also, my 2 cents on making your column look spiffy:

Before I had a steady rest that could accommodate it, I made a makeshift one out of a 4x6, this was on my southbend heavy ten- I see yours in the background. By the time of this picture I was living the good life.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well a little progress today.
....and a little machins time to fix this little jewel. I will try to get a small piece of scrap steel tomorrow to get this made
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Little more progress today. Turned and threaded the handels in stainless

Even got to rough out the fingers that work the powerfeed

Have to get a nut wielded on to make it a little stronger hopefull it won't break again
Reg
Chance

Post by Chance »

Nice job Reg! Really like those handles, very sharp. It looks like that machine is going to be good as new, and run great for you. Curious on how you roughed out the fingers on that powerfeed part. I'm not a machinst; just play around a little. Enough to be dangerous unfortunately. :oops: Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished machine. Thanks for posting your work on this project.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Hi Chance. The fingers wer not that pad. I didn't hav a bald endmill so I drilled the iinner radi with a 1/4 drill bit after I found center of the part. then just eat it away with a mill. I didin't get the center hole it the correct place but I wasn't sure where it went and had no drawing to go by. The original piece was not much help. So I will have to make another one and I think I am going to do it a little different so I can make the ajustments in the peeder itself prior to installing it. I started it today and I will post some pics tomottow night to show how I am doing it
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Well that little piece I made for the powerfeed will work after all. It doesn't have the travel on the lever I thought it did. I will haf the sholder wielded on tomorrow and hopefully get it all together, wired and running in the next few days.

While I was resting I made a splittle for an Olive 270
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Here's how it turned out
Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Sweet, that looks great! Thanks for taking us through the repair.

pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Almost finished junkies. I need a belt that supplys the power to the unit. I will try to get that tomorrow.
I have a talk on composting to give to one of the greenhouses so I might not get anything done tomorrow. Time to start thinking about those gardens..... :D
Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Looking good. No need for garden thought here- it is 0º and we have almost 2' of snow on the ground- with the full moon is is more appropriate for some evening snowshoeing on top of what is supposedly our garden.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO.
FINISHED
I got it wired up tonight. Pushed the button and that baby fired right up. Hit the power feed lever and watched it lower 1/1000 per rev. Man what a beast. I will post some pics tomorrow too cold to go back out tonight
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Final installment. Gotta love tht power feed. Works like a champ smooth and can go aas slow as 1/1000 per rev. Glad I kept it on

Since the weathe has chilled I am thinking about freshening up the SB Lathe. easyer to heat the machine room that woodworking room

Reg