Well its finished...

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

mystry_tour

Well its finished...

Post by mystry_tour »

After 4 years of colletcing dust and wishing I had a spindel sander to use I finally get around to finishing it
This is a State B3 OSS......turned out pretty nice. Rewound new bearings and seals
Tour
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
Chance

Post by Chance »

That's a very nice job Reg! So is necessity the mother of restoration? :lol:

Curious what size spindle that sander uses. Did you have to dive into the gearing?

It's a purdy machine, thanks for the photos.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Hi Chance...in this case yes. There isn't really much to the gearing just a worm gear on the spindel and one other gear it drives to make the spindel rotate and rise and fall. The trick was getting the worm gear set right so it is, what I call, timmed right. The motor work I had done and they replaced the bearings since it is an enclosed unit so the oil in the reservoir full of oil wouldn't leak.
There are 8 different sized spindels that go with it
Tour
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
nektai

Post by nektai »

Nice job!

The copper paint is a nice touch. I haven't seen that before.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Nik
rustolem hammered copper....tough paint
Reg
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Nice machine Reg. You will definitely enjoy using it, it is almost a dead ringer for my B4- except for the table which is rectangular on mine. Make sure you fill the gear box with 30 weight oil and it should spin I believe CCW, this allows the fins to distribute the oil properly.

I am curious if that is the original wood. On mine the ring was plywood- I debated saving it and then ended up making one from baltic birch and painting it.

Shop is looking used! That is a good thing.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

HI Pete.
Not sure if is original or not. I will replace it later but for now I just wanted it working. I filled it last night and spun it up. It works great. I wish I have put it together long ago. I am sure it will save me much work.
Oh yes the shop is very much used. I am getting ready to mount the feeder on the 552 Lightning this week....with a little twist. Not putting any holes in the table.....Want Pics... :wink:
Reg