Oliver 399 Planer rebuild

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

crzypete

Oliver 399 Planer rebuild

Post by crzypete »

I was looking around the other day and noticed that I never shared the complete pics from the rebuild of my Oliver 399 planer- just before and after pics and some bearing removal pics.

here is the whole saga in pictures.

I bought this ugly machine on eBay. I thought it was ugly when I bought it, but then it arrived, what a turd!

Here it is in all of its grandeur.

After a long bearing pulling experience (see here http://machinejunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144 ) I started removing the old paint. I found it scraped off really easily with a chisel.

Here it is fully stripped and ready for bondo

Here are the rollers and other parts prior to cleaning

Olivers seem to have rough castings and require a bit of bondo to smooth them out.

More bondo work

sanded, masked and ready for paint
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

a little paint makes a world of difference

Fully back together.

and with dust hood and all badges etc
Last edited by crzypete on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Nice Job Pete. Looks better than new. I just aquired a 270-D tonight :D
And will be going through it over the next few months, I hope to have it looking like the 232 befor too long. I found I couldn't cut as thick a piece as I needed with the 232 and the 270 has an extention table with it so I can split a sheet of ply on the 96" side alone. I should have it in a few days maybe a week. I'll send some pics when i get it
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I am jealous. I have been coveting the 270 for a while. Definitely post pics and let me know how you like it. I am anxious for a review.

Pete