Delta Toolmakers Surface grinder

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

RossR

Delta Toolmakers Surface grinder

Post by RossR »

Well i should have taken a before picture put its too late for that. So here is the in process pictures of The surface grinder I just brought home. Thought you guys might like to see the pics as I give this old girl a paint job and a clean up. It wasnt in that bad of shape really but needed several years of grime taken off and a new paint job should be nice...so I managed to get the bottom legs and table done today and the slides for the magnet. I have the top asembly to take apart yet and paint up. I will take more pics after that is done.

Just thought you guys might like to see the progress. even if it is a metal surface grinder.

Ross
DB Furniture

It a great surface grinder

Post by DB Furniture »

I own the same one. I have found it very useful in rebuilding other woodworking machines. Let me know if you need any used grinding wheels for it. When I bought mine it came with two milk crates filled you can take what ever you want. DB
Danny Birnbaum
DB Fine Furniture & Design
71 Glenwood Place
East Orange, NJ 07017
dbfinefurniture.com
RossR

Post by RossR »

Thanks for the offer Db. Most generous. I also have a box full so I am in good shape. glad to hear it has been a usefull machine. i have yet to run it but I think it will fit me just fine.

Ross
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Hey Ross.....gonna need a BIG building before too long :lol: ..nice catch...should have mine finished wireing Fri or Sat
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
RossR

Post by RossR »

Dont remind me about the big building I know I know....hows your bldg coming...sounds like you are moving along nicely.

Ross
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

I should finish wireing this weekend and ready for the inspection next week. The lathe should be here today and the mill is in its new home as of last Thursday
Isn't this big arn stuff fun
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Ross,

Cool surface grinder- I really like the lines on it- Classic Delta deco. In fact, it looks like it uses the same legs as my gang drill press. To that end, I'm curious if the legs have a "delta" tag on them- mine have a space and some drive screws. but the tags seem to be long gone. I'm hoping to find some to reproduce.

Pete
RossR

Post by RossR »

Pete,

Funny you mention the legs being the same. I thought that and looked at the pic of your drill press rebuild. Reason I looked was to see if your legs had two holes in the top too and they do. Upon further inspection they are identical near as I can tell. I would assume they made the mold and used the same legs for various machines.

The surface grinder had the tags on it but covered with three previous layers of paint. I got to the base of it and the tags are just metal strips with the word DETLA painted on in black paint. They are not rasied or anything. The delta started on the top and went downward and on the bottom was pat. and #. I will try to snap a pic. Mine are pretty shot...while removing the paint I managed to remove a good bit of the painted on delta I dont know if I will bother repaiting Delta on the tags. If they were rasied I would but since it was just painted on my jury is still out.

Ross
RossR

Post by RossR »

Ok here are the tags. The one on the right I took the paint off with some lacquer thinner....not a good idea....the on on the left i used steel wool...better idea but it left it scratched up. Anyway you can see how it was.....If i decide I am not gonna bother with em you are welcome to em Pete I can just mail them up to ya.

take a look this is what they would have looked like anyway.

Ross
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Ross,

My thought would be a reproduction. A quality scan could easily be transformed into a stencil- pretty easy tag to reproduce. I'd be happy to make the stencil if you could provide the scan, or mail me the decent one to scan from- I would mail it back with the stencil stock.

I think perhaps the best way is to print on a sticker stock, cut out the letters, stick one to each piece and paint.

Pete
RossR

Post by RossR »

Pete,

Happy to mail it up to you. Drop me an email with your address and I will mail it off. When you say scan I assume you mean On the computer. Mine isnt much good for scanning just ok.

Thanks

Ross
RossR

Post by RossR »

Just an update, havent had a lot of time to work on this project but I need to since its clogging up my space in the shop. Anyway I got the base all put back together and I disasembled the upper portion tonight. clean up and paint on the top next.

Ross
RossR

Post by RossR »

Ok she is all finished and back together. I need to run some wiring yet but other then that all clean and pretty. All most hate to use it now but I am sure to get over it.

Gee can you guess which machine is next to get cleaned and painted!!!!

Hope ya all enjoyed my rebuild...I am glad its done that is for sure

Ross
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Hey Ross...nice job,WOW....Looks like a number one effort. I do have one question. How did you get the round wheels to shine like they do. I need to get the ones on the Oliver shinie like that....can't wait to see the next one too
Reg
RossR

Post by RossR »

Well this is what I did for the hand wheels. I have a buffer(cheap and too fast from harbor freight) I buffed out the wheels on that ...didnt take too much time I used a pretty coarse compuond too. then finished them with a finer compound. Cleaned the inside off with steel wool then cleaned the whole wheel with mineral spirits(using oil based enamel) Then taped off the shiny part of the wheel and the handle(OF course this cant be rushed...the mineral sprits must be completely dried...lets just say i was rushing hehehe). Then spray painted. then of course removed the tape.

Only problem I see is the shiny part will rust up again. In fact there was some minor surface rust from me touching them already on the one. I am wondering if its worth maybe a coat of polyurethane spray or just keep me oiled lightly perhaps. Anyone try anything that works so they stay shiny??

I am pleased with the outcome and I know the machine will just get dirty again but its so nice to have it all clean adn starting from scratch. Easier to keep clean too.

Ross
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Ross,

Nice job, looks crisp. I have to say I'm a tad jealous.

Mystry,

I have found that this is an excellent excuse for a metal lathe project- I simply chuck the wheels up and use sandpaper to finer and finer grits. I end with a coat of wax and have had good success against rust.

I think it important to note that I always remove the handle from the wheel- it would be dangerous to have that whipping around.

Pete
RossR

Post by RossR »

Pete,

Thanks for the compliment. No need to be jealous...you do better work then I do on your refurbs!!!

What kind of wax? Just plain paste wax? Also good idea on the lathe someday soon I will be able to try it that way.

Ross