Oliver 166 Jointer Bearing Replacement

techniques and projects: share and learn

Moderator: nektai

dadude

Oliver 166 Jointer Bearing Replacement

Post by dadude »

Hey Junkie's, I am looking for some info and support (heck how about a weekend expense paid in georgetown, well good try anyhow!) back to the topic rebuilding the cutterhead bearings in my 16" Jointer, unfortunately it is a "clam shell" head, what are my options for head upgrade? Can the original head be altered to accept a "gib style" knife system? Seems to me with the "clam shell" design the answer to this is NO, HELP! :shock:

Dadude
dadude

Post by dadude »

Hey guy's... not sure what to do with all the input on rebuilding my oilver head! well here goes, will report on results (or not)
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Damn, Never even saw the post. Have lots of info for you. including manual with diagram. It's lots of fun- I'm assuming similar to pulling the 399 which includes pulling the stator off the motor. I'd love to come help, but Way to busy at this end.

Remember the two setscrews at the bottom of the motor hold the windings in- yup you'll have to pull those as well. You're gonna need one deep reach bearing puller- I had to modify two of mine.

I'll try to scan the exploded view tomorrow night.

As to the replacement head I think Mrdouglas might have some gibs for you, but replacement is an all or nohing deal- there is no retrofitting that widowmaker that you run.