suggestions on pricing

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

lkwoods

suggestions on pricing

Post by lkwoods »

Hi,

I have two machines I am trying to sell but am not sure how much to ask.

The first is an Oliver Planer and the second is a Screw Press.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated,

thanks,

Leah Woods
leah.woods@unh.edu

Here is the info:

Oliver Planer 24” 199

Machine # 199 Ser# 38942 UNH# 902851

460V 3Ph 5Hp

Good working condition. Very functional but could use slight restoration/tune up.

and

Hand Screw Veneer Press

A system of four bar units each with 4-5 screw clamps. Interior dimensions (max press size) 18” tall x 3’9” wide. Exterior dimensions 2’4” tall x 5’wide. Seems operational but may be in need of slight repair/restoration.

[/img]
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Leah,

Nice planer.

The planer is an oldie- 1931. the 199 is a less desirable model than the 299 which replaced it. Judging by the age it could have
a clamshell cutterhead in it- which is very bad in a jointer,
slightly less so in a planer, in either case undesirable, although it
could have been swapped out at some point. The 440v 3ø motor is also
undesirable- probably need a transformer in addition to a rotary phase converter to run it in most small shops

The condition from the picture looks to be pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate asking $1000- $1500.

Here is a picture of a clamshell head. this one has had the original bolts replaced with hex head bolts- it is an easily identified cutterhead.

As to the veneer press I am not certain as to the value, really no clue. Hopefully some more members will chime in.

Pete[/list]
jugadro

Oliver 199

Post by jugadro »

Hi Leah,
I'd sell everything for around $100...
and only to someone with DREADLOCKS!
Hahaha - just kidding.

I was fortunate to be the designated purchaser of the machine.
Thank you Leah for all of your help.
And thankfully, someone replaced the clamshell cutterhead at some point with a more modern setup.

When I first met Ollie 199 - in the UNH machine room... and heard it purrrr... it was love.

BTW - if anyone has a knife grinder (knife stone?) for one of these - or at least a pic of the setup - please shoot it my way.
I have the big perpendicular bracket that mounts to the top, but that's it (I'll have to post a pic of that soon).

Here's a shot of unload day...
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Glad it is going to a good home. I hope Leah didn't beat you up too much on price. There was a dreadlock Discount?

Looks like you also picked up the veneer press too- plenty of room in the barn for that..... for now :twisted:

Pete