New Member 399 (pre stripping)

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

LD21

New Member 399 (pre stripping)

Post by LD21 »

I think I've figured out the pics thanks to nektai and other on the site. Thank you for welcoming me to the junkie family. I can't tell you how happy i am to have my own Oliver. She's not much to look at right now but once you get inside............

yeah i know she's a dirty one. I'm sure we've all taken home something we aren't to proud to look at. thanks again everyone.

leigh
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Ahh Pictures- worth a thousand words.

Your machine has been modified in the past, probably by someone who didn't understand how to pull the bearings. I have seen this done before. It is most clear in the third photo- someone cut the main casting to have better access to the cutterhead. I do not think it will affect the performance of the machine.

The switch looks to be indentical to the one that came with my machine. Mine was dirty enough that I upgraded it with a more modern magnetic switch. The electrical enclosure is pretty nice looking, but as I recall it was not a magnetic switch which is unacceptable to me.

Also I believe your speed control lever has been altered in some way- the funny extension where it gets narrower is not normal. Also the knob is replaced- I replaced my original knob with a polished steel one from mcmaster.

Keep the pics coming. I will do my best to help with any questions.

pete
nektai

Post by nektai »

I feel like I am looking for Waldo.

Is this the hack?

crzypete

Post by crzypete »

That would be it.

Can you advise Leigh on how to downsize the pics a tad- makes it so the thread doesn't scroll left to right.

pete
nektai

Post by nektai »

Leigh,

Once you have logged in to Photobucket you should select the image that you want to work with and hit the Edit button. Then choose the 75 % button and apply the change. For more detailed instructions check out the link that Pete had previously referred you to and scroll way down towards the end. I address the image size issue.

Hope this helps and it sure is nice to have your pics in the thread.

Nektai
LD21

Post by LD21 »

sorry about the pics and sorry about the hack job on the machine. Thanks for pointing that out. I completely overlooked it. I guess somebody got lazy or just wasn't looking to do the right thing.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

no worries, just trying to give you as much info as possible. Like I said I really don't think it will affect the performance one bit.

I looked at my machine again today and I think there is a difference between the feed speed adjust levers. I believe mine is closer to the machine- less angled.

How's the progress? Did you attempt the cutterhead removal today?

Pete
LD21

Post by LD21 »

I did attempt the cutter head removal. Attempt being the key them. I removed all the bolts and got the motor free but was unable to slide it out from the casting. any suggestions? how did you go about this. I was reluctant to be too determined before I consulted with some of you.

Also I'm not sure if my machine was cut or not. We have one at school and it is also missing that part of the casting as you can see from the pick below.

also the bottom of the casting on mine where it is gone is rounded quite well.

i looked closely today while trying to get the cutter head out and it is crude bit i don't think it was cut by some one later on. The two machines are a month apart in manufacturing. Could it be that some models possibly earlier ones still had the casting intact and then they decided to remove it for ease of assembly/maintenance?
LD21

Post by LD21 »

oh yeah, that handle, definitely some budget replacement. I'll be looking to beef that up a bit. What year is your machine Pete?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Really interesting that the cut is factory. When the cover closes do you see a gap? On my machine if that area was cut you would definitely see a space.

My machine was made in 1943. What year is yours?

Pete
LD21

Post by LD21 »

mine is 1948. no gap. there is a plate that covers it as well as the top closing.