Oliver 399

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

Postman

Oliver 399

Post by Postman »

Would like any help and information on changing the planer knives on the Oliver 399 . . . thanx, Postman
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

ummmmm....I never changed any on a 399, BUT if you can't get them changed I would be glad to take it off of your hands. :wink:
tour
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

The first question I would have for you is whether you have changed planer knives before. If you have, it is a pretty basic change.

My one piece of wisdom is to recommend the oliver knife puller, it makes the change easier. If you do not have access to one of these, but have some metal fabricating skills, i can measure mine up and help you make one.

Pete
Postman

Oliver 399

Post by Postman »

Have just purchased the planer, it appears to be in good shape. According to the serial no., it is a 1950 model. Have never changed the blades, just received the knife setting block from Grand Rapids. Do not have a knife puller. Are there any other techniques you use outside of the instructions from the Oliver Manual. . . . thanx, Karl
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Karl,

I prefer a dial indicator mounted on a upside-down U shaped block. I find it is the easiest way to properly set planer knives.

Before or after you set the knives you are going to want to check the table for parallelism, this can be adjusted at the bottom of the two acme screws- their bases twist to allow micro adjusting. This should be set to the body of the cutterhead and in a crucial step prior to adjusting any of the other rollers or pressure bars.

I have a copy of the oliver manual and find it to be almost completely useless in helping to get the machine running well. It features such great tips of advice as "adjust this until it feeds smoothly" My old delta wedgebed gave actual "dial it too these numbers" and whenever I would go through that machine and dial it to those numbers it would feed and cut like a dream. The oliver has taken quite a bit on tinkering with to get feeding it feeding and cutting well. If yours planes well to begin with, you may be one step ahead of the game.

This ramble leads me back to some pre knife advice, if possible, run the machine and see how it performs before removing the old knives. Also, measure how far the old knives sit out of the cutterhead- you may want to replicate this if it is feeding well.

Pete
Postman

Post by Postman »

Went out to the garage today and ran some White Pine through the Oliver . . . it runs like a top. Chewed it up in no time. Where the cutterhead cylinder passes thru to the gear-box side of the planer, it gets a little on the warm-side. Is this ok, or is something happening. . . . thank-you, Karl