Cast Iron Corners

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

mystry_tour

Cast Iron Corners

Post by mystry_tour »

Like thos cast iron machines...hat the corners and edges.......sooooooooooo
I did a little work on them
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi mystry, Nice work. I am always happy looking at a beautiful paint job long after the filthy labor of creating it is over.

Don't forget about the possibility of bondo. It sands much easier than cast iron and Oliver and most other manufacturers used a similar type filler so it is pretty damn authentic. I like a napa product called "cuz" it has a bit more talc, it is a tad softer, but it sands really well.

here is a bondo pic of my planer

and here it is sanded out.

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

True pete.....I know theres a lot of arn on those corners so i Just decided to waste some time. But there will be som bondo in it on the flat surfaces.
Reg
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

well I finally got to do a little more work on the Olive....
Its the color i got from Sherman Williams that Oliver supposedly used.
But since I have never seen an original I really don't know but here's what I have anyway
Will try to get more done when I get a cpl more days off
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of folks use that teal color- it seems a bit brighter than the original oliver paint that I have seen, but that could be an age thing. They really only hanged to that color in the sixties, so plenty of people repaint older machines in a less authentic way. Prior to that teal, they used a rather dark gray.

Me, I don't worry about authentic colors, just want to make myself happy at the end of the day. So if you are happy at the end of the day, you chose the right color.

How do the corners you cleaned up look with paint?

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

They look great Pete..you can see them on the base...nice and round and smooth. That is suppose to be the color for Olive but who knows I like it. I will be paintineg the stroke sander black and silver. I like color because I am color blind. When I painted my house on the inside it scared my sister to death when I went to the paint store to do the interior....lol
Reg
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

crzypete

Post by crzypete »

looks sweet. Is the tag original, or a replacement from eagle? Is this a 12" saw?

Pete
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

its a replacment Pete...it takes 12" blades