Oliver 399

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

mystry_tour

Oliver 399

Post by mystry_tour »

Ok guys what an Oliver 399 in decent shape worth.....meaning it has everything and may or maynot need bearing, Knives are there and need sharpening.
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I think price is severely based on condition, I paid $1100 for mine, but it was in rough shape- nothing broken, but ugly.

I would say ballpark for a plug-in machine is $1800-$2200. Super-clean perhaps $3500 range.

The last one I saw sell was this one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7595816423

It is hard to really determine woodworking machinery prices, It seems that woodworkers are cheap and/or poor. There doesn't seem to be the market quite like the metal world.

I would think location might influence it all as well.

I'm hope others will voice opinions.
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

although I have a 20" one I thought I might get an older one and do it justice to fix it up....heres one I'm looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLIVER-PLANER-Model ... dZViewItem
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
thouser

Post by thouser »

In In a lot of ways the market for planers is not what it used to be. I got rid of mine 4 years ago and now run 24 grit on the widebelt. Not quite as fast but no tear out and stock comes out flatter . Back to this Oliver looks good but never know till you hear it run. Low on the power for my liking. I have seen quite a few nice Buss planers go cheap recently and that would be my choice for a planer.
We cannot direct the wind,
but we can adjust the sails.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I think the paint looks a tad rough, probably worse in person than in photo, of course if you plan to repaint, that's not much of an issue.

The tabs on the chipbreaker are still intact, which is one of the first parts to get damaged.

My review as an owner of a 399 is slightly mixed.

Pluses:
It is one sexy beast in an extremely compact package. One reason I love Oliver machines, is that they were not over-built. They were super heavy and well built, but compact in this nature. The 399 is no exception.

Seems to be mechanically well engineered. I know my prior planer- a delta wedgebed had a weak link- a worm gear that was prone to stripping, and cost in the $600 range from delta.

Runs super-smoothly, and the cut is excellent from the knives.

Can handle very short boards- due to it's compact nature.

Minuses:
I have had a hard time dialing it in. My old delta was very easy- I had a manual and a dial indicator, I would hit the settings and it would work. the Oliver manual has lines like "set it so it feeds well" what the hell does that mean?

The table is on flat ways so in going up and down it has to either have a tad of play or be kinda hard to crank up and down. In the working photos of most of them you will see staining from the oil dripping out of the lube points on the ways- I think because everyone kept oiling them like crazy to get them to run smoothly.

All in All I like it as a machine, and I smile every time I look at it. I do not need a machine in a larger class- like a 24" which tend to be the next class up in terms of power and ruggedness. I find the direct drive power of the 3 hp to be fine for my work. I can take two full turns 1/8", and have yet to slow it down.

You certainly pay a premium for that Oliver tag on it, The delta wedgebeds that I have watched just don't sell. I sold mine to a friend for $1000 and it was in fine shape. My "upgrade was certainly a sideways move in terms of performance, but it is certainly an upgrade in terms of beauty.

Pete
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Another choice is this yates

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Yates-Ameri ... 7604673055

Not too different condition and it will sell cheaper, some members have this and similar machines and can probably give a review.

Pete
nektai

Post by nektai »

I have and older version of the Yates that Pete posted the link to. Mine is older has more iron but it has a knurled in feed roller rather than the grooved one that this planer has. I love mine and think that this one would only be better. One note about the Yates planers; you should factor in the cost of having the table Blanchard ground because they use a funny system to reduce friction on the table. I did not buy in to the idea so $110 was spent to make the table "normal".

mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

nice looking planer....CLEAN shop
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Check it out I think the eBay yates got a quicjk paint job. normally this is supposed to increase the price by a minimum of $500, but it is at $400- $100 less than when it was unpainted, guess he wants to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7609714473