oliver 166cd

The cult woodworking machinery builder of the 20th century

Moderator: crzypete

Bowdoctr

oliver 166cd

Post by Bowdoctr »

hello, new member here and also a 1st time oliver equipment owner, I recently purchased a oliver 166cd jointer in need of some repairs, at this point I have replaced the cutter head bearings, had motor rewound, the motor is a r louis allis 5hp 3 phase, the cover was broken at some point and needs to be replaced, does anybody know of one or know where I can purchase one, thanks
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

You could call eagle machinery and see if they can fabricate one, but it will probably be expensive. Other options would be to fix the one you have, fabricate a suitable replacement or post an ad over at OWWM and hope that someone actually has one kicking about.

Pete
Bowdoctr

Post by Bowdoctr »

Thanks Pete, I have the parts from the broken one all but a small sliver, it would just be a ugly repair!
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I suspect you could make it a good looking repair. After all we are only talking about the ball cap of the motor. You can silver solder cast iron which is almost invisible. Or braze it and the grind the braze and bondo it. You would never see it. I'd do this in a heartbeat. Paint and bondo will cover a myriad of sins!

Pete