Hammond Blade Guard Question

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

AllenS

Hammond Blade Guard Question

Post by AllenS »

Hello,
My name is Allen and I work for Maryland OSHA Consultation Service; a State agency. I work for Consultation as a safety consultant.

Consultation is a program were employers invite me in to take a look at their safety and health program and also the equipment they are using. I do not write Citations. So this is a good thing and not bad.

With all of that said, I have some questions concerning the blade guard on these Hammond Glider saws. I have seen several of these saws on my visits. None in use always in storage until my last visit. They were using the saw to cut laminate board to size. There was no blade guarding on the machine. I have googled this machine and saw a picture of a saw with what looked like a cast iron blade guard.

Could any one please provide me with information about the guarding on these machines? Was it original or an aftermarket item? Is it still available?

You can contact me directly at 410-537-4506 or respond to this post.
Thanks
nektai

Post by nektai »

Allen,

I am out of town and away from my saws so someone else will have to fill in the story with actual pictures. The saws come with two guards. There is variety from year to year. The general idea is one guard that covers the blade from above. That guard is suited to woodworking up to a point. For cutting laminate block it should work well provided they are making a through cut. If you want to read between the lines you can sense that I am suggesting that there are situations where that guard is poorly designed and hinders the usefulness of the saw. I mentioned that different models have different versions of this guard and it would not surprise me if the less friendly version was removed.

the other guard is essential and i would not like to see the saw used without it. It is a small metal stop that prevents the hand that holds the stock and pushes the table from getting near the blade. This guard never compromises the use of the saw and should always be present.

I hope this helps and I am sure there is more on the way that will further clarify all of the variation in the guards over the years.
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

I have talked this whole entire situation including your comments over with my supervisor. We have come to an agreement that since this saw was originally designed to cut paper, they are using it for the wrong purpose and must use a tablesaw designed for woodworking.

From a cost stand point, it might be cheaper to purchase a new properly guarded table saw. If compliance goes into the business, three citations $$$ would be written.

They are cutting laminate hardwood plywood used for cutting printed paper. The process is as follows. Approximately, 1/2" strips of rubber are mounted to the laminate in the shape of whatever is being cut. Metal blades are enbedded into the rubber. The laminate is mount in a machine and the printed sheets are fed through the machine and the cut shapes come out the back of the machine. If you have experience as a printer, then you already know what I am describing.

So thanks for your insight and help. I'll let you know what they decide to do. Allen
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

I stand corrected, it was originally manufactured as a metal cutting machine. I just found a site that has the original parts list and diagrams on PDF.
Allen
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Actually, originally intended for wood or metal type.

Pete
nektai

Post by nektai »

Allen,

I have seen the saw used for just that purpose and think that it is a use that the saw was originally designed for. Wood blocks and type were an integral part of the printing industry.

Obviously it is an old saw and I am sure that there are some modern saws that approach the usefulness of the hammond and could replace it.

Honestly i am surprised that any saw other than the saw stop makes compliance these days.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I think you could compare it to a miter saw or a table saw with a miter gage, but I think both of those options would be more dangerous, although possibly compliant. Too bad.

Also, hammond is still in business, they just do not manufacture the glider any more- they make abrasive machines and dust collection.

Pete
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

It seems that every time I email you something, I find more info on the internet about it. Like Hammond Roto is the company still in business. I am going to stop looking.

I think having the employer switch to a properly guarded table saw is the best recommendation for protecting employees and the employer.

Again thanks for all of your time and help.

This is what I like most interesting about my job. Getting to see, learn and talk to different people about different things every day.
Allen
preston

sliders are safer!

Post by preston »

I tend to think my Hammond Glider is safer than an ordinary tablesaw.
I fix the work on the sliding table, typically using the workholding clamp.
Then I slide the entire table past the blade. My fingers are never
close to the blade.

Compare cutting some small part on an ordinary table saw.
Of course it can be done safely on the ordinary saw,
but the safe move is probably to use a crosscut sled.
With the Hammond, it's already built in.

Preston
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

The whole problem with the saw it had nothing but a bare table top and a blade sticking up when I saw it. When I asked about guarding I was told that this is the way the machine has been for many yrs.

According to OSHA, when it comes to guarding, it must be up to date with the current standards. So if you own a old peice of equipment, you must upgrade it. That is the jeopardy of buying equipment for your business at auctions. It may seem like a deal at the time but could end up costing a lot more.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Allen, can you tell us what qualifies a shop to fall under the jurisdiction of OSHA?

Peter
nektai

Post by nektai »

Allen,

I have a couple of questions for you. Is there a resource for current standards in terms of guarding machines like tablesaw, jointer ect. What size of operations are you consulting for/ getting inspected by osha?
Last edited by nektai on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

If you have one or more employees.
nektai

Post by nektai »

Any resources for the guarding practices that OSHA wants to see?

Thanks for the quick response by the way.
AllenS

Post by AllenS »

To start with go to OSHA.GOV go into Regulations tab, Part 1910 General Industry then go down to 1910.213 woodworking standards.

I have other information I can send you.

Can be any size facility because woodworking is consider a high hazard industry. Be aware that OSHA is working on updating it's standard on Combustible Dust. You will want to keep up on that. This will effect all the have dust collectors. That's a whole topic in itself.