a G4 in my garage

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

preston

a G4 in my garage

Post by preston »

I bought a G4 today. Looks good so far.
I need to clean it up and move it (probably piece at a time) down to the basement.

Good looking forum. Thanks for all the info.

Preston
nektai

Post by nektai »

Welcome Preston,

I haven't broken mine down into moveable parts. I would think that you could get the motor off and possibly the complete sliding table unit too. I would think that those three parts would be much easier to move. My question is the trunion. I think it is its own unit that is better left on the cabinet.

I bet others will have a clearer vision of the easiest break down for moving.

welcome
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Preston,

Welcome to the forum and to the hammond club. I have a feeling you will be very happy with your purchase.

I think I would take the motor off and the sliding table off. Perhaps separate the top from the base.

The entire unit weighs on the order of 450 lbs. Not too bad strapped to a handtruck, but definitely lighter is better.

Pete
preston

Post by preston »

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

On a different note, I'd like to use mine as it was intended, to support printing. But I lack a few parts, especially the trimmers and the bits associated with setting them. Is it possible to get them somehow?

Thanks,
Preston
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Preston, I may have some parts to help you. If you PM what you need, I'll see what I have. It will take a day or two for me to get back to you- things are a little crzy at the moment.

Interesting that you will be using it for printing. Are you using lead or wood type? What kind of press do you have?

Pete
mr douglas t

Post by mr douglas t »

Hello Preston,
I have multiples of the trimmer setters and other accesories. Let me know what you need. If you want to get real crazy, I have a complete accesory board.
Douglas Thayer
preston

Post by preston »

> Interesting that you will be using it for printing.
> Are you using lead or wood type?
> What kind of press do you have?

Lead type, but also engraved wood blocks. It's actually the wood blocks that convinced me to buy the saw. They are locked up in a form with all the lead type, and if they aren't accurately cut, everything will slip and slide.

Of course, there are many other uses. Cutting furniture (blocks of hardwood used to hold the type in place, usually in standard dimensions like 10 x 50 picas, 5/8" thick), mitering lead rules and borders (almost always to 45 degrees), and cutting heavy slugs to length (slugs are strips of lead used to separate lines of type, thin ones can be clipped easily, but thicker ones need a saw).

Some people use them to cut mortices. Here's a little photo essay, though I'm not sure this is how I would approach the problem.

My press is called a Poco proof press. Pretty small, as these thing go, but big enough to manage a reasonable book if I'm so inclined. I have a website about it, here.

Thanks the offers of parts. It'll be fun to bring this guy back up to scratch.

Preston
preston

Post by preston »

A friend came over this weekend and we got the saw moved down into the basement, where among other virtues, it's dry and warm. I began by removing the accessories, the sliding top, and the motor. Then we attacked it with a hand truck, but it still seemed too heavy. So we pulled the saw off the base and moved them separately. This worked out, though I must still reassemble the bits.

Preston
preston

Post by preston »

Got it all reassembled last night, ready for the Christmas party this weekend (don't you show off your new toys at Christmas?)

Preston
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

How about a few pictures for us while you are showing it off!

Glad to hear you are all back together.

Pete
preston

Post by preston »

crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Preston,

Nice write-up.

Your pics explain everything about your trip down the stairs. That is an older cast iron base machine- the more modern ones were formed out of sheet metal. The 450 pound weight estimate was based upon a sheet metal base machine. Your machine is substantially heavier. Glad you made it safely.

Pete
preston

Post by preston »

Now you tell me! But then, I guess it wouldn't have made a difference... We were gonna move it anyway.

Preston
9watts

Post by 9watts »

Preston,

what is the serial number on your G4?

Thanks.

Reuben Deumling
preston

Post by preston »

> what is the serial number on your G4?

It's 3072. Does that give us any hints about the age?

Thanks
Preston
preston

Post by preston »

bump
Daninvan

Post by Daninvan »

Well I don't have a date for you, but my G4 is #3551, the highest patent number on its tag is 2137113, which was granted in 1938 so its date of manufacture is subsequent to that.

I have seen other machines with higher patents on them dating them post 1948. So assuming yours has the same highest patent number on it as mine, it would seem to date somewhere from '38 to '48. If you don't have patent 2137113 on your tag then it would seem to date from pre '38.

I would also be interested in any info that sheds more light on manufacturing dates.

Dan
preston

Post by preston »

Mine has the same HPN, so I guess mine's the same vintage as yours. Makes sense, with the numbers so close.

Preston
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I did a whole bunch of serial number surveying and patent number noting a while back. I have it all written down, but do not have access to it at the moment. If there is interest, I can pull it out and type it up.

Pete
Daninvan

Post by Daninvan »

Hey Pete, Yes I'd be interested in what info you have on serial numbers. If you get a chance to type it up (or even just scan it) that would be great.

Cheers,
Dan