creating franken-hammond- The Inch Fingerscale

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Ok Here are some pics. I am already gearing up to retrofit my other saws. The one picture is for a G4b with extended scale, my other saws are G100's which seem to use a slightly different nut- it is positioned differently in the finger which could lead to some manufacturing issues. I may simply retrofit an older G4 finger that I have for my first G100.

The pics show my completed franken-hammonding of this saw- new rule, new leadscrew and new fingernut in place. Nektai's concern with perfect alignment of the rule is actually more important than I first thought (see end of this thread http://machinejunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210 ), In my next incarnation I will try to get this perfect. I think I will simply use layout dye to scribe a line to align the ruler to.

I seem to have misplaced the spring along the way, but otherwise everything is operational. Definitely could use a fresh coat of paint on this finger and I may need to replace that vertical rule because of obsessive stupidity.

OK I'll shut up, here are the pics:

nektai

Post by nektai »

Wow!

Nice job Crzy!

The year is young but this mod will be in contention for the "Modification of the year award" at the non existent year end, red carpet, MachineJunkie award show!!
guzziguy

Post by guzziguy »

You never cease yo amaze me. Make the next one metris.

j
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

To me, metric is about as useful as pica :roll: I have started working on the g100 finger, It's a bit different but I think I can make something of it.

Peter
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I finished the G100 nut and turned another leadscrew. Got it all mounted on my primary saw, I am very happy.

here it is...

nektai

Post by nektai »

Nice job Crzy. The lack of the swoop on the thumb lever does not bother me at all. You know that i would like to see some sort of detailing on the thumb pice to help refine its look. This detail could be a nice tactile scoop like the original hammond part or it could be a nice moment for some sort of visual detail...Like a FrankenHammond Logo of some sort!

Great job
RobodocX

Re: creating franken-hammond- The Inch Fingerscale

Post by RobodocX »

This is an old thread but great stuff! Are parts or retrofit kits available for this project (seems like it requires a new lead screw, nut and ruler)? I have a (new to me) G140 that I'd love to retrofit. I also have access to a CO2 laser so we could potentially batch out some replacement rulers if they are not easily available any more.
the junkie
Site Admin

Re: creating franken-hammond- The Inch Fingerscale

Post by the junkie »

RobodocX wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:25 pm This is an old thread but great stuff! Are parts or retrofit kits available for this project (seems like it requires a new lead screw, nut and ruler)? I have a (new to me) G140 that I'd love to retrofit. I also have access to a CO2 laser so we could potentially batch out some replacement rulers if they are not easily available any more.
If You go back through you can see the rulers I use are a Mcmaster Carr part. Still available as far as I know. The hardest part is the nut. New lead screw is a piece of precision acme- Left hand 3/4-8 with the ends turned.

Pete