Hammond glider G3 motor belt replacement

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

yogo100

Hammond glider G3 motor belt replacement

Post by yogo100 »

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I finally managed to acquire a glider (G3), but it was damaged in transport unfortunately. I now managed to fix the broken part, but need to figure out a few things before getting it operations. First, the saw came with two belts for the motor. I was wondering whether that was normal. Second, the belts are pretty worn, so I was wondering if anyone has information as to which replacement belts I should get. Third, the G3 has the dovetailed ways (which was the part that was broken), and I'm wondering how to correctly tension the belt.

Thanks,

Yoav
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Yes, Two belts are normal on all the floor standing Hammonds.

I Couldn't tell you what size belt you need, best to measure and order 3 times until you get it correct (that is how I always seem to do it.) Please report back with the size you find for future owners to reference.

As for tension, I pretty much tension with the 3/4" deflection in the middle concept. where you push on the center of the belt and look for around 3/4" deflection. Too loose and they will slip (hard to happen with two belts) Too tight and you wear out your bearings and cause other issues.

Good luck.

Pete
yogo100

Post by yogo100 »

Hey Pete,

Thanks. I will. In the meantime, I have been trying to tension the belts that came with the saw, but am having a hard time doing so. I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple. Is the only way to tension the belt, but making sure that the motor is connected to the threaded rod at the bottom? Right now, when I crank the motor up, the belt loses tension (because the dovetailed part is not "grabbing" the blade assembly portion early enough (if that makes sense). Is there a secret to this that I haven't figured out?

Thanks,

Yoav
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

perhaps the belt you have chosen is too long? My memory of the G3 is pretty fuzzy. Pete
yogo100

Post by yogo100 »

Hey Pete,

I figured out that the dovetailed ways were slipping on the part that the blade arbor is connected to. Haven't put new belts on yet, as other projects have taken up my time.

Thanks,

Yoav