Hammond G4B Glider motor swap

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

TomFL

Hammond G4B Glider motor swap

Post by TomFL »

I have a G4B That will be dedicated to woodworking.

I'd like to swap out the 3-phase motor for a single-phase but am looking for input on HP and RPM.

I have a spare 1hp/3,450 rpm motor here that might fit the bill but wondering how the increase in blade speed will effect cutting. Planning on running a forrest woodworker 2 on it.

TIA
Last edited by TomFL on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Yes the 3450 motor will work, but You'll want to alter the pulley size. You can speed up the sfpm of the blade a bit, but you don't want to double it.

I've never experimented with what is the ideal speed. I suspect there is a wide range of choices as wood just isn't that finicky to cut. Both of my saws run the standard ratio bullies which everyone claims to too slow, but they cut quite well. One day i'll add a VFD to my three phase saw and do some testing to figure out if more speed helps or hurts. But don't hold your breath.

Peter
TomFL

Post by TomFL »

crzypete wrote:Yes the 3450 motor will work, but You'll want to alter the pulley size. You can speed up the sfpm of the blade a bit, but you don't want to double it.

I've never experimented with what is the ideal speed. I suspect there is a wide range of choices as wood just isn't that finicky to cut. Both of my saws run the standard ratio bullies which everyone claims to too slow, but they cut quite well. One day i'll add a VFD to my three phase saw and do some testing to figure out if more speed helps or hurts. But don't hold your breath.

Peter
Thanks Pete. I did call Forrest about recommended blade speed using their Woodworker II blade, and they suggested 3,450 as an ideal RPM, with 5,000 as a max recommended. I'll have to measure the pulley sizes to get a more accurate idea on how blade speed is affected by motor RPM and go from there.

I appreciate the response. I'll let you know how I make out. Hoping 1 hp single phase will be enough.