History and photos of our Gliders and questions about prices

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

RA

History and photos of our Gliders and questions about prices

Post by RA »

Several weeks ago, I came across this site while trying to learn more about my father's Hammond Glider saws.

He ran the family letterpress printing shop here in our city for all of his life. The shop was established in 1929 and shut down in 2014.

I'd like to share a few photos of the four Gliders he collected over the years.Tomorrow I'll try to figure out where to host the photos so I can get this image link feature to work properly.

I've been working on a documentary film about his shop for several years and asked him to talk a bit about these saws, and how they were used in letterpress printing shops. I'll compile some of the video on the Gliders shortly.

I'd also appreciate suggestions on approximate prices I should ask for them. I'm going to keep the tabletop model for myself. These saws are extremely nice to use!

Until I can get the images linked into this post, I've posted this open album showing the four saws. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DApTjTTgPWdQUatU8
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Those are nice looking saws and the history is way cool. You are well off to keep the bench glider as is is the most desirable of the lot. ( I only see three saws in the photos you posted. The other Two sas I see are both Ben Franklin's which simply do not command the same money or allure as the gliders do. They are solid and nice saws, but you may have a hard time getting more than a few hundred dollars for them. The Ben Franklins tend to kick around a while before finding the right home, I think many people hold out for the gliders, and rightly so.

They seem to be well accessorized. Make sure you keep a miter with your bench top saw.

Please link to your film when you can!

Peter
kmcsmart

Post by kmcsmart »

Wow those are very nice saws. I noticed you are from Canada. Me too. I live just outside Ottawa. Where are you?

How is the video coming along. I would love to see it.
Karen
RA

Post by RA »

Thanks for your comments! The saws are indeed quite nice!
I've had the two Ben Franklins for sale for quite a few months now. So far, no takers, probably because I priced them quite high. The local economy here is well.. how shall we say... not very strong. I can wait a couple of years before I have to part with them.

The video is still sitting on my harddrive awaiting the day I'll have time to complete it. I didn't shoot it on my proper cameras (DSLR), but it will have to do. Please do remind me occasionally to edit those films.

Nice to know there's a Hammond fan in Ottawa! I'm in Regina, SK.

This is a great site to let people know about these amazing saws! Thanks crzypete for creating it.