More information about steel and cast iron ways

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

Daryl

More information about steel and cast iron ways

Post by Daryl »

Sorry this message wasn’t showing up the first time. Disabling HTML helped it show up this time.

Here is some added information relative to the G4 series, cast iron or steel ways, and ball bearings used for the sliding table. At this time, I have a G4, serial #3777. It has cast iron sliding table ways supported by fourteen 1/2” ball bearings. Last week, I purchased another G4 parts machine. It was serial #3756, and has steel insert ways supported by twenty 3/8” ball bearings. The two saws being only 21 apart when manufactured. Neither saw has the cast iron stand. This may help isolate the period of time when Hammond switched from using steel ways to cast iron ways. As to when and why they switched back to steel insert ways with smaller ball bearings would be interesting to know. Performance or production cost have anything to do with the switch? WWII and steel shortages?? Other than these differences, the saws seem basicly identical.

Daryl
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

That's amazingly close on serial numbers. Perhaps this is a true cutoff line, but I suspect the answer is more perplexing. My instinct is that either Hammond was offering it as an option (less likely) or they were doing it as a repair/retrofit. The steel inset ways definitely came back for good with the addition of the b on the G4b and stayed on with the last incarnation G100's

Pete
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

.........I neglected to disable the HTML, so the body of this message isn’t showing up as intended. Will attempt another reply soon.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

If the original design engineer for the G4 saw was still alive, or if his design notes still exist, we would know why Hammond chose to change from the steel insert ways with smaller ball bearings over to cast iron ways with larger ball bearings, then revert back to the original design. The latter source of information may be a possibilty, but likely a slim one. In the meantime, we can only offer guesses as to why until some facts arise. Was the decision based on cost saving measures, or purely from a serviceability standpoint? Steel insert ways are easily replaced. If wear of the ways was a concern, then using inserts would seem a logical remedy when repair was needed. Smaller inserts could be used for smaller ball bearings, so that may be why large ball bearings were discontinued as well. Worn cast iron ways would pose a far more challenging and expensive remedy.

It may be interesting to hear some feedback from current Glider owners who have steel insert ways as well as owners of G4 saws with cast iron ways. Have either observed noticeable wear on the ways on their saws, whether steel insert or cast iron? Of course, knowing the amount of usage (hours) each saw has been used would be difficult to know. The more usage, the more wear on either version, probably. Of the two way designs, which way design wore more quickly? Here again, this would be largely unknown unless some first hand, long-term user commentary from a printshop owner or saw operator could be obtained. No doubt, a few of these folks survive, but obtaining this kind of information from them may hard to come by.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I have enough experience to give feedback on the difference of hardened ways versus the cast iron ways.

There is an enormous difference.

On a G4 without hardened ways, you can almost always lift the table. Even after you tighten the ways a bit there are issues. Because you cannot equally tighten both sides, you cannot adjust them accurately enough to remove extensive wear.

The cast iron saws tend to wear most in the middle, as most of the type that was cut dd not require the full throw. This makes the adjustment not work as you need to pinch more in the center than on the ends.

The steel insert ways are vastly superior showing almost zero wear across the numerous saws I have owned and seen in person.

Although, a worn saw will still be decently accurate, I avoid them at this point. too much fussing when there are other better saws out there.

Pete