Miter Guage Not Square With Blade

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

dvdkea

Miter Guage Not Square With Blade

Post by dvdkea »

I recently picked up a Hammond Glider G4. It is in great original shape. The only problem I am having so far is that the miter guage on the sliding table it not square to the blade. I'm sure there is an adjustment someplace on the machine for this type of issue but, I don't see it.

Can you help?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

There are a couple of things that could be happening. Best to determine where the issue is before trying to figure out a solution.

1. If the blade holding unit has come out of whack, you will be cutting a cove essentially. Test for this with a indicator on the moving part of the table and see if the blade is parallel to the table. Often this gets out of adjustment because the taper pins are kinda weird in that they have nuts to help remove them, but people tighten those nuts and thus pull the taper pin out of the hole enough to negate its effectiveness.

2. Once you are sure the blade is indeed parallel to the table- indicator on the table as it travels back and forth, then you can put a square on the blade and check the fence. The fence is also held in by taper pins.

3. You may need to modify the connection of the table and fence. Age or original manufacturing error could have made it out of square. I would triple check everything before going down this path. It is pretty much a matter of getting it square without the taper pins installed tightly, and then figuring out how to file the taper pins so they hold it from moving, but don't push it out of square.

On a side note, the weak point in these saws is the arbor, it is made out of a wimpy pot metal and often is no longer flat. This could be the source of your woes and bears checking.

Pete
dvdkea

Post by dvdkea »

Thanks Pete. I have a feeling that it is the blade holding unit being out of alignment. I will test it with an indicator and make the adjustment.

This saw appears to be all original, none of the modificatons covered on this site have been done. What would you recommend as the first modification?
JEFinCLE

Re: Miter Guage Not Square With Blade

Post by JEFinCLE »

Pete,

The taper is smaller in the fence portion, correct? To remove the pins you knock them down? I think I was going the wrong direction last night.

It seems just a little too snug when you put it on the pins. I'm going to take the pins out and polish them and try again. Mine is ever so slightly out of square.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

NO, you have it backwards, you knock them up. This thread was more talking about the taper pins that hold the bearing block for the motor in place. Those are a weird system.

When removing the fence, often the pins are stuck in the fence and you can lift the fence and pins at the same time. Remove the two socket head cap screws first. And obviously the ruler prevents the pins from being tapped out of the fence, so that needs removing as well.

Pete
JEFinCLE

Post by JEFinCLE »

Uh, not mine. I was trying to remove them going up out of the table and had no luck. A couple light taps on top and they dropped right out. I polished them, reinstalled and dropped the fence on. It slipped into place perfectly and delivered perfectly square cuts...and that's before I buy and install new socket head cap screws (mine are missing).