Just bought 2 gliders

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

Sam beagle

Just bought 2 gliders

Post by Sam beagle »

I went to a printing shop auction. They had 2 saws for sale. I got them for 30 a piece. They are clean and run very well. I wanna keep one and sell one. They are complete saws.
I wanna go ahead and make mine a 10" saw. Is this really something an average person can do. I have zero metal working skills.
Sam. 570-875-9016. Any suggestions please call.
Sam beagle

Post by Sam beagle »

Come on guys. Hey I just found out these are 3 phase machines. Has anyone used a VFD on these
    crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I dislike them as 10" saws. It creates too many problems including that the blade will not go beneath the table. They are better as 8.5" saws. Will probably be a bit hard with no metal skills. Read the posts that have been made about modifications and you will see what is involved.

What models are you saws? Where are you located?

I have heard of people running them on VFD's, but I have a factory single phase one and I have a rotary converter for my shop that also powers my other saw, so no experience

Pete
    Sam beagle

Post by Sam beagle »

Ok. Will look into the 8.5 blade.
    I got 2 different models. Both complete one is called a g-100 and the other is a G4.
    I'm shocked that all the parts came with the saws. Even blade gauges. All lights, guards, etc.

The 3 phase thing is gonna hurt. I am stuck between new motor or VFD

If I got a new motor. What would I look for. Sam.
    Also. I'm in central PA
    crzypete

Post by crzypete »

All the extras are nice.

Three phase is not that big a deal. I think you would be best with a VFD, as it will be easier than swapping the motor as the motors would most likely need an adapter plate and possibly a different sized pulley as the bore would be different.

You could also use a small rotary converter or even a static converter which loses 1/3 of your horsepower..

At the end of the day VFD is probably your best bet.