New G4B and G100 in Ohio

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

Dan Pfeiffer

New G4B and G100 in Ohio

Post by Dan Pfeiffer »

Hello. My name is Dan Pfeiffer, I am in NE Ohio. I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks as I contemplated the purchase of a Hammond Glider saw.

I just purchased two Hammond Gliders. A G4B (#7649) in what looks to be very good condition and a G100 (#12902) that is a little rough. The door (tilting table section) over the big tilt arm is broken into two pieces. I have not looked much more into it but I think other than that the saw may be in serviceable condition. I got these at a Cleveland area industrial surplus dealer (not the printing equipment place in Novelty). I paid $225 for the H4B and got the G100 for scrap value at $30 because of the broken door over the tilt arm.

Can anyone comment on parts these saws may have in common? I can see the tilt arm is different and the tilting plate above that is different, the base is different. IS the arbor different? Are the sliding tables interchangeable? Is the micrometer gauge interchangeable?
I have very little in the way of accessories. The G100 had the micrometer gauge (no finger) and the G4B has the batter gauge bracket but not the gauge. That's it for accessories.

I plan to set this up for general woodworking with small parts. I will need to have a good square fence and some hold down clamps of some sort. I am thinking it might be useful to drill and tap some holes in the sliding table for clamp down fixtures. What have others done in this regard?

If I could find them I might be interested in getting the workholder clamp and finger for the micrometer gauge. Though I might be better off fabricating something of my own. Not sure yet. I do have some machining tools in my shop including a Bridgeport mill and a lathe.

First steps will be to get things powered up. I expect to run the 3 phase motor from a VFD drive but I am not sure. I don't see this doing particularly heavy work, more light detail work. So perhaps converting to a single phase 220v motor would be a better solution. I don't see a lot of need for variable speed control that a VFD would provide.

Can someone decode dates for these machines?
G4B #7649
G100 #12902

Thanks for any comments.
Dan Pfeiffer
Mentor, OH
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Dan, Looks like you bough the two saws that HGR had. But at way nicer prices than they had listed.

Yes the arbor is the same on the two saws, but not many other parts are.

I would think you could fab up a new hinged table section out of plate. That seems like an easy fix for that saw. Plus, that area is the least important part of the saw in terms of accuracy. The back area is actually came so you can dial in the casting to mesh perfectly with the rest of the saw, this would make it easier to fix.

You may be able to swap the hammond fence between saws, but I am not sure how accurately the taper pins that align it will match between saws. I'd be interested to hear if you do.

I love the finger on my saw, but you can adapt them as you see useful. Kinda depends on what you are making with them.

The one plus of the VFd is that many people prefer to run them a bit faster than they were intended, so perhaps that helps with that decision. I have been running mine at factory speed and have no issues.

I've never encountered a good date decoder.

Pete
Dan Pfeiffer

Post by Dan Pfeiffer »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, from HGR. Prices drop the longer an item sits on the floor. These had been there since June and July or maybe June and August. And they become more negotiable the longer something has been there.

I was thinking the same thing about the broken hinged table section. I think it might be simple enough to fabricate something from aluminum. Really just there for out feed on cutoffs?

If I can figure out a reliable way to share the VFD from my lathe I may do that. But a single phase swap might be simpler.

I did try swapping the micrometer gauge and it seems to mount just fine. Can't speak to alignment yet. I'll need to find a finger to make it useful. Somewhere I have an Incra fence. Might be worth exploring fitting that.

Thanks for the feedback.
Dan Pfeiffer
Mentor, OH