Questions about a non-Hammond-Glider

Discuss the coveted printers saw

Moderator: crzypete

Wahli76

Questions about a non-Hammond-Glider

Post by Wahli76 »

Hello everybody,

I joined the list because I hope you could help me with a problem I have with my printers saw.

at first a little introduction. I am German, live in Bavaria near Munich and I am running a small shop for rstoring clocks. I was always looking for a precise circular saw for cutting wood and metal (especially brass). Recently I found a Linotype saw.

Image[/img]

The whole saw is metric, just the arbor for the saw blade seems imperial. The little boss for the saw blade is 7/8" in diameter and the arbor has the three holes for mounting the blade. All what I saw when I checked US-saws from Miller or Hammond.

In the future I want to use regular saw blades and also dado blades and therefore I wanted to replace the arbor, but I cannot get it off the shank.
As you see in the pic above the arbor was secured to the shank with a small screw.

I have no idea if the arbor is just pressed on the shank or has a (left)thread. I tried to remove it, but it doesn´t move. The Arbor looks pretty much like a standard part, maybe the connection to the shank is also standardized? Does somebody know about that and can help me?

Any hint is very much appreciated.

Best regards

Kurt
Wahli76

Linotype Saw

Post by Wahli76 »

Sorry, just a test

Kurt

Access by Explorer now.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Kurt,

Welcome to the forum, sorry about the initial difficulty in posting.

Saw looks nice. Very interesting to see someone else's take on the task of cutting type. I am not in love with the motor and arbor above the table- would not be useful to me, but I can see if you only cut small things, that would not at all be a problem. I'm curious the mechanics of the sliding table? Ball bearing?

I'm not sure what you have tried in getting that off, but I would suspect that it is a pretty damned tight fit, possible with a taper or heat shrink fit. You will definitely need a puller or press to move it. I would be taking the shaft completely out of the saw to work on it. And I would also just consider making an entirely new shaft without trying to remove that flange. Especially if you try a bit and are in risk of damaging it. You are way ahead not damaging it and having two potential arbors.

Pete
Wahli76

Post by Wahli76 »

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately I couldn´t get the flange off the arbor, so finally I decided to dismantle the housing ( I even had to make a tool for the two-sided nut) and turn the flange down. It came out the flange sat on a lefthand thread.

Next step is, to turn the arbor down to 16mm, then I can use several dado stacks and circular saws with adapter rings.

After that I will put in new ball bearings and make a lifting device for the sliding table.

Best regards

Kurt

I hope the pictures will show up!