Walker Turner/Rockwell 20” Wood/Metal Bandsaw 28-500

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

curth

Walker Turner/Rockwell 20” Wood/Metal Bandsaw 28-500

Post by curth »

I am working on a Walker Turner/Rockwell/Delta 20” Wood and Metal Bandsaw model 28-500. This looks to be pretty similar to the 28-365. Does anyone know the difference? Most parts appear to be there. The gear box is stuck in high speed (1:1ratio between 13”dia pulley and lower wheel) so I plan to take it apart. The saw is missing the motor which is no big deal. I have a 3hp 3ph motor on hand that would fit well. Do you think this is too much power for this saw with the gearbox and variable speed pulleys?

The drive pulley that fits on the motor is also missing. This is part 926-01-991-4694 on the model 28-365 parts list. Per PartsDirect it is replaced by part 41-924. I think this pulley should have a diameter of 2-3” and about 1” groove width at the OD to obtain the proper blade speed with a 1725rpm motor. The variable speed belts are 1” wide. This does not look like a normal Reeves drive setup. I think the motor pulley should be solid, no springs or moving plates. I think the motor pulley and the big 13” pulley on the gear box basically stay in place while the double 6”dia variable speed pulleys move up and down and shift the belt pitch dia. Please confirm if you know how this drive works.

Please let me know what the motor drive pulley should look like. I really want to know the outer diameter and the groove width at the outer diameter so I can make a replacement that fits my motor.

Thanks,
Curt

Walker Turner/Delta/Rockwell 28-500 20” Wood and Metal Bandsaw

Side of machine. The bracket is just to the left of the starter.

Doors open

Variable speeds

Lubrication

Top pulley

Top Pulley 13” diameter close up

Looking down on the variable speed pulleys

Looking up at variable speed pulley 6” diameter. Note, the sprocket is a mod from the PO that I will remove.

Motor mount
Curt
nektai

Post by nektai »

Hi Curt,

I like your approach. I suspect that the 3 hp motor is probably a bit much but thats not an issue in my book as long as the RPM is right and the motor fits.

These delta/rockwell units are numerous and well built so I am sure that you will be able to use the pulley that you found.

I do not have any experience to guide you with the variable mechanism. I would probably begin by taking the stuck assembly apart before I purchase any other parts.

good luck and keep posting