Yates #2 Shaper 1915-1925ish

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

buck shot

Yates #2 Shaper 1915-1925ish

Post by buck shot »

Hey all,

I haven't been around in a long time, so hello and hope you're all well.

Hurricane Sandy decided that the roof of the building that houses my shop needed alterations, and borrowed a 40'x50' hunk of it. I'm one floor below the top floor, so it could have been worse, but it looks like my old Yates shaper is probably a total loss (among other things). It looks like it was dragged up from the ocean floor.

I'm having trouble finding a suitable way to assess the value of the thing - anyone have any ideas of where to get numbers on such an old machine?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Buck,

Sorry to hear about the damage. I am still grappling from afar at how much devastation there was down there. We saw nothing at best. A far cry from Irene for us.

I am not sure about the condition of your shaper or the value. I would be pricing up a slightly more modern one at one of the purveyors of vintage machinery such as Bill Kerfoot or Pleasant street machinery. Let replacement value be your judge rather than trying to get the exact same machine.

Pete
buck shot

Post by buck shot »

Thanks, Pete. You're probably right, though I might be looking at possible aid from the State or the Fed, in which case I'm not sure I can shoot for replacement.

By the way, you freak me out when you call me Buck - you know this is Scott Braun, right?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Of course I know you are The Scott Braun, but I just can;t help myself with such a great handle.

Seriously- really sorry to hear of the damage. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

-Crzy
buck shot

Post by buck shot »

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.