Machine rebuilding?....Two cents?? Two tips.

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

bretgreen

Machine rebuilding?....Two cents?? Two tips.

Post by bretgreen »

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to share a couple of tips for machine rebuilding that I have found after having rebuilt a couple pieces of old iron that made the work much easier. First let me say that my passion is for old Delta machines and I will be posting the rest of my rebuild projects as they are tackled. I have 15 machines to restore, so this is going to take time. All of my machines are single phase and have all original motors and switches.

My machinery list -
2 Delta unisaws with cast iron motor covers
3 Delta HD shapers
Oakley H6 edge sander
Delta 12" disk / 4" belt combo sander (open base model)
Delta 12" radial arm saw
Delta Triple Duty 7" grinder
Baldor 3/4HP buffer - dual speed
Delta 17" drill press
Delta 15" drill press
Delta 8" jointer with cast iron base
Delta 14" bandsaw with 1 HP RI motor, height attachment, and cast base
Delta 12" variable speed lathe (non cable type)
Campbell Housfeld 7.5 HP 2-stage compressor
Hitachi 10" compound miter saw
Delta 24" scroll saw
Davis and Wells Horizontal boring machine with CI base
Delta 13" x 5" planer

They're all old iron save the chop saw, compressor and the buffer.

The tips-

Tip number 1. The best paint stripper for old machines without using a lot of sanding is easy off oven cleaner. Spray it on let it sit for maybe 5 minutes and then wash it off. Be sure to use gloves, dry your parts immediately after washing off, and do not get the easy off on any plastic or composite pieces should your machine have those. Use on the iron only and avoid badges. Easy off also cleans pitch off of saw blades and bare metal blade guards.

Tip number 2. When reassembling a machine that has worm gears and other internal gearing that comes in contact with saw dust that might need lubercation, get a small jar and fill half way with car wax then add powdered graphite. You can find powdered graphite at any key making place and it comes in a small tube generally. A couple tubes mixed with the wax makes the perfect "dry" lubricant. Mix it really well and paint it on using a small glue brush (paint department). This will keep the gears gliding smoothly. It is key to let it dry before using the machine so that is can dry and not stick to any wood dust or chips.

I will be rebuilding and posting soon....
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Bret, Welcome to the forum. It a small group of mostly professionals and industrial users who post here.

Your machine list looks great. Definitely a very functional set of machines. What do you make with them?

I have used oven cleaner before to clean saw blades, but have read reports that the lye in it (the active ingredient) can erode the silver solder used to hold the tips on and thus I have shifted to simply using denatured alcohol and steel wool to clean my blades.

My favorite stripping technique is using a 10 gallon bucket half full of lacquer thinner. Dunk parts is and they shed their paint quickly. Does not work for larger parts unfortunately.

I like the tip on dry lube. That is always a debate for me.

I am going to move your Oakley post over to the rebuilding forum and give it a name that gives a better clue of what lies within.

Looking forward to hanging out more.

Pete