Want to borrow: Tannewitz bandsaw tire changing clamps

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

crzypete

Want to borrow: Tannewitz bandsaw tire changing clamps

Post by crzypete »

I am contemplating spending the $680 to buy a new pair of tires for my 30" Tannewitz Bandsaw. I was hoping to borrow a set of the special clamps to install the tires.

Anyone have a set they'd be willing to loan out?

Pete
chathamworkshop

Post by chathamworkshop »

Pete: I have never changed the tires on my band saw, but awhile back I was talking to someone at Woodworkers Tool Works about changing Tannewitz tires. He said you only need the clamps if you want to mount the tires with the wheels on the band saw. If you are willing to remove the wheels from the band saw (and cut off the old tires and rim) and lay them flat on a thick board like a 4X4, you can put the tires on by placing them on the lip of the wheel and gently start tapping the rim and tire down around the perimeter of the wheel with a wooden mallet. He said that it gets more snug as the tire fits, but putting them on this way was no big deal. Might be an option if you can not get the clamps.
Be sure to let us know how things turn out!

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip. Tannewitz recommended cutting the old tire off even if I do have the clamps.

I am half tempted to make a set of clamps if I cannot find a set to borrow. As best as I can tell they could be duplicated with studs that thread into the holes, blocks of steel with a hole drilled in them, and a nut. Seems a quick job with a saw and drill press.

Tannewitz will sell the clamps for $200 for the set. My saw has 8 threaded holes to attach clamps to.

I love the concept of quickly attaching a perfectly crowned wheel with no glue, just wish it wasn't quite so close in cost to replacing the tires on my truck!

Pete
chathamworkshop

Pete: I agree. Having a pre-crowned tire sure saves the hassle of having to crown the tire yourself.
I think my response was not clear. In both situations, you have to cut off the tire with its steel rim. The difference is that the new tires can be put on without the clamps if you are willing to go to the trouble of removing the wheels from the saw, and then laying them horizontally and tapping the tires in place around the circumference of the wheel. Mounting with the clamps is a time saver for a production operation because you are using the pre-crowned tires and also not having to remove the wheels, as you can put them on in place by using the clamps. Somewhere I read this meant that you could change a set of tires over lunch break and be back in business. Hopefully that will be the case for you!

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Bill, Your response was totally clear, it was my follow up that failed to acknowledge the technique properly. I guess my debate would be whether it would be easier to make the tools or pull, then remount and re-align the wheels.

Thanks for the input!

Pete
chathamworkshop

Pete: With your machine shop, I am guessing you could make them fairly quickly. I also found a thread on OWWM that talks about the clamps. Perhaps you can borrow a set from one of the authors.

Bill
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... es#p525893
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Thanks for the link, There was a link within that thread that shows the clamps. They are certainly slightly fancy pieces of cast iron, but I see no reason they could not be simple pieces of bar stock. I have couple of people to follow up with within my network. Hopefully someone has a set.

chathamworkshop

Hey Pete; Any luck on getting the clamps for installing the wheels on your Tanny? I am hoping you did and can update the Forum on your installation efforts.

Thanks,

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Bill, funny you should post today as the UPS truck pulled up this afternoon with a pair of brand new tannewitz tires.

Fortunately, I was able to borrow a set of clamps, which saved me the hassle of jumping through those loops.

The quality of the tires is quite frankly slightly disappointing. The rubber has some voids and is was applied in two layers and has some inconsistent bonding between those two layers. I plan on calling tannewitz about this as one wheel is particularly bad. I expected the ultimate in wheels for the price I paid. I'll upload some pics at some point.

I am almost tempted to rout the current rubber smaller and glue on new tires. But, I fear the grass will not be greener on that side of the hill.

Pete
chathamworkshop

What a bummer with the tires. I hope this is just a quality glitz with Tannewitz, and they will take them back freight collect and send you two good ones. Like you, I am curious as to why they would use two layers of tires. Did the tires come crowned?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I think I understand the two layers. In order to get the step in the metal ring, I believe they simple press braked a step into a piece of sheet metal prior to rolling it and welding it into a ring. I believe the first layer of rubber evens out that step.

The wheels are definitely crowned, although it is not a severe crown. I assume they know what they are doing though. The rubber is quite soft- softer than I would have expected, I guess my old ones have hardened a bunch with age.

We shall see where this goes.

Pete
chathamworkshop

Your explanation makes sense as to why they would do the two layers for the tire. Is the new tire as thick as your old one?
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Actually thicker than the old one. But the old one seems to have thicker metal- Hard to tell at the moment, but it looks like the old one had a machined ring and this one is more fabricated.

Pete
chathamworkshop

Hey Pete, I hope you had a great summer. I was looking at the Machine Junkie website, and remembered in the last correspondence,that you were getting ready to install new tires on your PH. I was wondering if you completed tire installation, and if so, how you like the new tires you got from Tannewitz. I am sure anyone that owns a Tanny band saw would be interested in knowing how things have worked out.

Thanks,

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hi Bill,

Well, when all was said and done, I was not happy with the tires that tannewitz sent and ended up returning them. I took some pictures and will post them at some point. Next step replacing the tires in a more traditional way.

This definitely sucks, but I guess is better than handing out that kind of money and not being thrilled.

Things have been kinda of slow lately, so I have not been using the saw too much. I do need to remedy the situation at some point as the blades are not tracking properly.

Pete
chathamworkshop

Pete: That definitely sucks, but at least you did not commit yourself by cutting off the old tires. I presume you are going with your earlier plan of grinding off some of the rubber on the old tires and bonding a new tires to it.
From all of us who own Tanny bandsaw's, we now know to beware of purchasing these for our machines. It is a shame that Tannewitz has let their quality slip so much. Probably the result of going to the cheapest supplier because of the economy.

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Perhaps I am overly sensitive, but for the price I expected a very nice product. Here is a pic of a defect area. YThis was not the only one, but seems to be the only one i photographed.

chathamworkshop

Wow! Looks like it is delaminating, and it sounds like there were several of these which would lead one to believe there is a bonding issue. I would have done the same. You would not want to run the risk have it come apart while running the saw. The rubber on the tire looks thicker and spongier than the one on my saw. Perhaps a new fabrication process and materials. Out of curiosity, did you discuss the issues over the phone with anyone from Tannewitz? I would be curious what they had to say about the problem.

Bill
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Yes, It was definitely bad. I talked to Tannewitz before I returned them and he only said- "we have not had any trouble with these in the past". I did not talk to them past that to find out if they were disappointed in the quality too.

I was not wild about the sponginess of the rubber either, although perhaps they know better than I do. It was quite spongy and had a very slight crown. I really was not convinced they would last all that long. and with such a slight crown, it would not tai much wear to get back to where I am now.

Pete
nektai

Post by nektai »

OK- now what is the plan? I have done such stupid things in the past on my smaller saws. Crowning tires is a major PITA.