Pickup bed E-track and Crown Stackers

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

DumDum

Pickup bed E-track and Crown Stackers

Post by DumDum »

Looking for more pics and guidance on adding e-tracks to my pickup bed, and info on crown stackers.

CrzyPete, it looks like you have a fork-over model b crown stacker? Just one battery in it? how much does it weight and how hard is it to lean it back and insert it into your custom hitch mount? I am thinking that is the route I'd like to take to help me lug iron around as I have quite a bit to move in the next one year and then some.

Would also like to see how these e-tracks are mounted to the truck bed and what was used behind them for better strength as those bed sides arent exactly strong by themselves. Channel steel?
-DumDum
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey DD,

welcome back! How are things in Maine? Glad to hear you are going to use a pick-up truck rather that a HOnda accord (was that it) to retrieve some machines.... Or is this to go in your honda?!!!

Yes, crown lifts and E-track. Two things that I am a major fan of. Actually just got done retrofitting a new truck with E-track and perhaps I can dig up some pics.

I used a piece of 1" square tube with 1/8" wall on the bottom of the E-track. This strengthens it and makes up the distance to the side of the truck. The top is bolted down the length to the rails and the E-track itself is quite stout.

I actually have two crown lifts (no neither is for sale- everyone keeps asking) I believe both were intended to have two six volts batteries to make the 12 volts, but I am running a single 12v deep cycle marine battery and it works great.

My smaller lift is the fork over the legs model and it lifts 1500lbs to 57". It is the one that fits in my trailer hitch and it weighs about 350 lbs. It is pretty easy to roll into the hitch and manhandle when it is just on the ground. I will do things like skidding the front wheels and popping wheelies to get over slight bumps with this unit.

My second unit is a bigger one. It has forks that go between the legs and can lift to almost 7' via a two stage mast. This is a much heavier machine as it weighs somewhere on the order of 700 lbs. It is much harder to push about and there is no high performance freestyle moving of it. It is also rated to 1500 lbs in lifting, but experience says it lifts more. I'll have to look about for some pics.

Pete
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Ok, some pics from the archives.

The bigger crown

The smaller crown

The smaller crown mounted to my old truck- then remarkably rust-free

The carrier I welded up for the truck.
DumDum

Post by DumDum »

excellent. 350 pounds sounds pretty manuverable. I was looking at a 20MT with 130" lift capacity but it seemed way too heavy to be useful, leave alone portable...

I actually have the last two photos bookmarked in another thread about moving, i just couldnt see much on the e-track even though it has been mentioned and some photos show it in use but nothing on installation etc. My F350 is far from remarkably rust free, and frankly, i don't trust anything associated with the pickup bed body besides the lower corner anchors. the rails will actually cave inwards when i use the middle stake hole to strap with, so that bed is well on its way out and i have been thinking about doing a steel stake body with a dump mechanism below that. Then add the e-track...

As for the honda... haha no hondas here except my '78 CB500K motorcycle. My father in law is the one with the honda that went over 1M miles. I use the F350 diesel for almost all of my arn hauling if it doesnt fit in the dodge stratus i use as a daily driver.

I have so many more "new" old machines since my last posts that i am absoutely drowning in projects, but we have been trying to sell this house since 2009 and will be moving to a larger property that my family purchased already for my wife and I, along with my parents, to build our homes on. That's where the new barn will go, to house all my machines that will eventually be restored one by one...
-DumDum
DumDum

Post by DumDum »

http://providence.craigslist.org/bfs/2901553686.html

thats the crown i was eyeballing earlier, but the lowest height is 91.5" and my garage door opening is 84" with the top molding trim removed, which allows my '46 towmotor forklift to squeak in and out as it is with the mast tilted almost all the way forward. So it wouldn't do me much good right now if it cant even go into the shop...

However crzypete, if you're considering a upgrade... we could do a swap? I'd consider buying the MT20 if i could trade it to you for your bigger crown?????

Matt
-DumDum
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Matt, That is a nice machine, and a steal at $300 even needing the batteries. Probably has 4 or 6 to power the drive as well as the lift.

I like your offer, but am thinking the next next lift in my life will be an outdoor capable forklift that parks in my barn while keeping the crown in the studio. Thus I am not looking to upgrade the size of my crown, the only lift that would really tempt me would be one with the same footprint as mine that lifted to 9+ feet.

I checked that last post and this is definitely the equivalent of rigging in a honda accord!

Pete