Doall ML Bandsaw

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

crzypete

Doall ML Bandsaw

Post by crzypete »

Hello Junkies.

It has been a good year of machinery upgrades for me. Between adding the tannewitz table saw and upgrading my Newton edge sander with the Oakley I have added a few pounds to the stable. Well yesterday I was able to pull off the trifecta for my year.

I have been searching for a Doall bandsaw in ernest for about a month and a half. It was about then that one had popped up on ebay just down the road from me. I thought about it and decided to bid. I was the high bidder for all of 30 seconds. Someone sniped it at the very end and topped my bid. I was a little heartbroken, more than I realized I would be. I regretted not bidding more and started searching the usual bushes.

I found one on craigslist- not my local craigslist but drivable, and sent the guy an email. It had bad pics and was a tad out of my budget. A couple of days went by and I got no response. I eventually emailed again, and waited, no response. On my third try, I changed up the subject of the email figuring they were getting munched by the sellers spam filter. he finally responded with more pics and an apology that he had just been super busy.

After a couple of exchanges, we settled on a price that hurt for both of us, so I guess it was a decent compromise. I googled the location of the bandsaw. and it turned out to be 22 minutes away from a furniture delivery that I needed to make yesterday. This all happened last week, so the timing was perfect.

I had a cap on my truck in order to protect the furniture so in order to load the saw, we had to knock it over. This turned out to be a bit of a PITA, and he had a forklift! Firstly, the saw is damn heavy- perhaps around 1500 lbs. Secondly, it is actually really stable- it has a fair sized rump and I wanted to tip it over on its back. We did get it to go and I was able to band it to a pallet which I found at his warehouse- I modified the pallet with materials I found on site.

My night got late as after loading the saw we went back to meet the client who was then home from work. They served a magnificent indian meal, but the time flew by. We hit the road at 10pm and quickly encountered blinding snow on the thruway. It intensified around newburgh where I started seeing cars that had spun off the road. The scariest moment was coming upon a tractor trailer in the left lane facing the wrong way. I am still not certain whether he spun around or was southbound and hopped the median. Needless to say it was a long night and pulling into the driveway at 1:30 was very welcome.

This morning I went out to assess the situation. After removing my entire collection of packing blankets which were shoved into the edges, I was left looking at this.

Once again, I am relying on my trusty crown lift, and once again, like lifting the Oakley, it has the guts to make the lift, but the counterbalance is lacking. Here you can see some weights on the base and an electric chain fall for added ballast.

No problem!

Finally down in the studio. The next step will be standing it back up, but that will be a project for tomorrow.

Upon inspecting the saw in person, I have to say, it is one extremely well made machine. I am definitely looking forward to having this one on line. It is replacing a Walker-turner 16" wood/metal which has been a great saw for me.

While buying the saw, I noticed a Knoll Tulip chair near the saw. I asked the seller about it and he threw it in with the saw. A nice addition as I am definitely a connoisseur of modern furniture and this is an authentic, if slightly beat up, chair.

That is all for now.

Pete
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

I got the saw upright today. After many thoughts about overhead lifting points and other techniques, I decided I could most likely just lift it with the crown. I decided to test run to see how it handled.

This was my first pick. Problem- the base is going to hit the door. But it did feel safe.

I repositioned to clear the doors, but soon found the forklift mast was going to hit the doorway.

Knowing it was going to work, I rotated it 90º and went for it. Here is near the end.

and upright

next up, cleaning the saw.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Once the saw was vertical, I started to clean it up. The paint is original and my plan is to clean the saw and then use it. No fancy paint jobs here.

Here is the before pic

I started cleaning by experimenting with kerosene, a weird eco 409, and a windex crystal rain- their eco formula. Surprising the Windex worked well, but I quickly kicked the jug. I went out and bought greased lightning and regular windex. The Greased lighting was the cats meow, regular windex didn't touch it. I found it worked best to just spray it down and let it work its magic. The years of dirt went away and I was left with a nice looking machine.

No before picture, but I cleaned up inside the mechanical compartment as well I ended up pulling all of the belts and ordering them from mcmaster. It takes four belts and it will be a miracle if they all fit- I have a bad track record with ordering the right length belts. If they do all fit I will post the belt numbers tomorrow for future reference. I also plan on draining and filling the gear box.

Lastly the cleaned up rump. I am very happy with the condition of the saw, especially considering the saw is 59 years old!
nektai

Post by nektai »

Great job!

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the saw. Paint? Right into service? Does the metal shop need to be reshuffled to accommodate it?

EDIT: I see that a new post snuck in while I was writing mine. Almost all of my questions answered. It looks great!
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Nico, this saw is going straight into service, The paint is remarkably good and my metal shop tends to not be as pristine as the wood shop. No paint job is planned.

Things I do need to address.
-speedometer, the glass face is cracked, fortunately it works.
-New belts- the old ones were shredded, the new ones are on order.
-gear box- drain and fill with oil
-welder- the clamps seems to be gummed up, so it will need a good cleaning. This will be a longer term project.

That's all I have planned for now. I am sure some other issues will pop up, and I will address them as needed.

The saw will go where my Walker-Turner is, I think I will need to remove one section of the stock rack that is there.

Pete
mr douglas t

Post by mr douglas t »

Looks great.

Makes me think I should clean all my metal machines. Did you add chocolate to the speed index wheel?

That little crown sure does lift a load.
diamond saw dave

Post by diamond saw dave »

Doug why do you ask about chocolate? I don't quite understand that one?

Pete: Where is the Walker Turner going now that the DoAll is taking its place? Nice upgrade too!
mr douglas t

Post by mr douglas t »

When we where students at RIT, our professor had some large pieces of Easter chocolates. He proceeded to cut them up on the band saw. It got everywhere, and slowly melted into the bearings, and guides and everything. The saw was never the same. Adjusting anything on the saw became a real chore. I think Lock tite and chocolate share some of the same ingredients.
diamond saw dave

Post by diamond saw dave »

That is classic. I do like the novelty of it. would have made a great video piece. Why didn't he just freeze it and break it up with a hammer? I'm sure it gets cold enough to just leave it outside for a bit in Rochester right?

Its probably less of the chocolate and more of the parafin/additives in lesser quality chocolates that made it do that. But that's my opinion. lol
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Table is back on, belts came in and mostly fit, I changed the oil, the blade showed up from mcmaster and I actually made some chips as a test, then actually used the saw for real this afternoon. I am definitely going to like this saw.

here it is

It has a funky miter gage that I am debating whether to put back on. I will probably try the saw in place first.

Pete