Rescue of an Avey drill press with a Plymouth transmission

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

Packard V8

Rescue of an Avey drill press with a Plymouth transmission

Post by Packard V8 »

Even though I didn't need it, this hundred-year-old Avey was just too well-made to see it go for scrap. The three-speed Mopar transmission addition is interesting, but will have to go. It does give twelve speeds forward and four in reverse.

ImageImage
ImageImage

1. Does anyone have any literature or a link to info about Avey and/or the Cincinnati Pulley Machine Co.? Google didn't find much.
2. This was originally a line shaft drive. What horsepower would be optimum for a #2MT machine?
3. Anyone have a surplus 2" flat belt drive pulley?
4. What are the max/min drill diameters for #2MT? Most I have are between 1/2" and 3/4". Where to look for surplus bits larger and smaller?

thnx, jack vines
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Hey Jack,

Cute drillpress. I have a set of morse taper bits from 1/4" -1 1/4" Full set by 64'ths. They are morse taper 1-4 with each taper covering about 1/4" of bits. Morse Taper 2 covers 1/2" - 3/4".

You can always run morse taper 1 via an adapter. I have a morse taper drill press, but more often than not use a MT tanged chuck with a straight bit.

For driving that kind of bit I would be satisfied with a 1 hp motor, but given the gearbox on the press you are going to lose some horsepower, so you might even double that (these are serious layman's gut calculations, definitely no math here)

I am curious as to the bearings on the press- they kinda look like ball bearings which would make it 1920's or newer.

Pete
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Hi, Pete,

Thanks for the reply. The DP came with a very nice chuck. I've just found any adapter introduces some additional eccentricity or leverage on the system. I want to use #2MT bits where possible and #1 with an adapter after that. The #1MT adapter fits inside the #2, whereas the #3 adapter is a bunch longer, as the straight chuck and adapter.

I've about decided to leave off the transmission and go back to flat belt drive.

thnx, jack vines
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Jack are you planning on drilling metal or wood?

Pete
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Hi, Pete,

Mostly metal, but I've got some larger hole saws which would work better with the larger, more stable DP and the slower speeds.

thnx, jack vines.
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Found the patent info http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1388876.pdf Here's a summary of what we've got on Avey so far:

* The "Avey Drill" was introduced in 1909 or shortly before by the Cincinnati Pulley Machinery Co. The designer was James F. Mirrielees.
* The Cincinnati Pulley Machinery Co. filed a name change to Avey Drilling Machine Co. on December 30, 1919. Thus, my unit was built between 1909 and 1919.
* Relocated to Covington, KY in 1934 .
* Around about 1960 they became a division of Motch & Merryweather Machinery Co. The last mentions found thus far are from the mid-1970s.

thnx, jack vines
jere

Post by jere »

Sorry to bump this up from the grave, for those that are annoyed. I picked up an avey drill yesterday which has been modified but is missing all I'd plates. I found this page through Google image search, and joined to try and get some info and maybe better photos and to hear what became of the original posters press? So any updates? Packard v8 could you maybe pass on the the numbers for any patents or model I'd?

[/url]http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... 089137[url]
Here is a link to mine on garage journal with some photos.