Rockwell 18" Wedge Bed Planer - 22-201

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

bradsmith

Rockwell 18" Wedge Bed Planer - 22-201

Post by bradsmith »

We're looking for parts! Cutter head cracked and took with it a support bracket, deflector, and name plate.

Sources? Thoughts?

The Parts in detail:
960-02-011-8341 - Name Plate
428-02-036-5001 - Deflector
428-02-089-5004 - Support
428-02-357-0001 - Cutter Head

Thinking about a spiral cutter head if we can find one that would fit.

BW
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Brad, Seems like a hard quest and perhaps one not worth undertaking.

I do not know if you have another machine to plane with in the mean time, but if I were in your shoes, I would be looking for something running and a bit heavier duty.

The delta 18" is a fine machine, but they sell used all day for around $1000. If I were going to invest in a spiral cutterhead, I would be looking to put it in a more substantial machine.

Definitely look around before putting too much time any money into this one, it might be better to cut your losses and make some money back by selling some of your parts.

FYI, the weak point of that machine is a bevel gear in the feedbox that will cost over $500 to replace.

Pete
bradsmith

Post by bradsmith »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for you response and congrats on the wedding!

I do have my old 12" Parks which I can get by with for now. I found another 18 wedge bed locally for $1200 and I think I'll get that as the next step. In the meantime I'll look for replacement parts for the damaged one.

What would be a good step-up in your opinion? I'm not sure that I want or need to go as big as 24". I need a compact, muscle machine, maybe 18" to 20". Any suggestions in what to look at?

Brad
nektai

Post by nektai »

Brad,

I am curious about the failure. It sounds terrifying. Is there a cautionary tale that could help us avoid the same fate? I suppose what I am asking is what happened?
Toolslinger

Post by Toolslinger »

Brad - Take a look at the Powermatic gear... The 16" machine I have is built like a tank... Hell it might be built from tanks as its a late 40's machine... The bigger gear flavors look just as nice as far as I can tell... General also made (makes?) a nice heavy 20" machine... Parks did 20's as well, but I haven't had the pleasure of getting under the hood...

That's unless of course you want to start looking at the crazy big machines from the likes of Yates, Whitney, etc...
Tim - Trying to want more and store less...
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Brad, I guess I would like to quiz you first and ask how much production planing you do? If you do run a larger quantities at a time, I would definitely want a machine with a sectional infeed roller.

There are some sweet machines in the 24" size that are readily available, when you step down to an industrial 20" finding a heavy duty machine is harder- kinda like finding a 30" bandsaw over a 36" the 36" are everywhere.

Newman makes an industrial 20" that might fit your bill. But with your shop space, there is no reason not to pull the trigger on a 24"

I think the 18" planers like the Delta wedgebed and my oliver 399 were really intended as high school machines. The 24" are on another level. That being said, I think there is a certain precision to the 18" machines. For light milling in a furniture shop they are hard to beat.

Pete
tpritch1

Post by tpritch1 »

Hi Brad,

Did you ever find the parts that you needed for your planer mentioned here?

Thanks,

Tom