shop ceiling

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

guzziguy

shop ceiling

Post by guzziguy »

I just had my ceiling in the shop insulated and now would like to put something up so that it doesn't eventually disintegrate and fall on me. i already have a lot of conduit and pipe up there so whatever i put up has to go around these obstacles.
I want this to be easy and cheap. i have to cover about 3000 sq ft, so cheap and easy. something i can put up myself with no help.

I was thinking of using house wrap but i don't like the brand names that are plastered all over the place. Any ideas?
nektai

Post by nektai »

What about a metal grid with panels. A friend who is a sheet rocker is going to do it for me in my spray booth. He says that there is quite a variety of panel material including pre finished sheetrock (I thought he was suggesting that acoustic tile crap). He said it is the fastest and cheapest way to cover a ceiling and has the added bonus of providing non destructive access to all of those pipes and ducts incase anything goes wrong.

Get a quote so you can learn about the materials and cost.
guzziguy

Post by guzziguy »

you mean a drop ceiling? if so to much $$$$$.

j
nektai

Post by nektai »

Yes. The other solutions are too half assed and just as much work.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Two suggestions.

The way they held the blown insulation into the cathedraled ceiling on my studio was with this non-woven polyester. I am most familiar with it as the closure to the upholstery on couches and stuff- the fabric on the bottom. It might do the trick, although no thoughts on fire hazard or light reflective properties.

Where you should probably end up is with a quote from a sheet rocker. It may be cheaper than you think and is most likely the best solution from a number of angles- especially the fact that you would not have to do it.

Pete
guzziguy

Post by guzziguy »

i am planning on getting a quote from a sheetrocker. tell me more about this non woven polyester.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Yu are probably familiar with the stuff. Here is a web image I found.

http://www.talasonline.com/photos/fabrics/hollytex.jpg

pete