Chisels

All strange discussion and debates

Moderator: crzypete

pete

Chisels

Post by pete »

hey to all machine junkies

im buying a new set of bench chisels + a cordless drill and am looking for some opinions-- anyone use pfeil chisels? sorby? i currently have the blue plastic handle irwin/marples and i really dont like them...

as for cordless drills-- panasonic? festool? the dewalt battery system kills me so something other than that...

let me know your thoughts if you get a chance to post back.

thanks,
pete
DB Furniture

Post by DB Furniture »

Pete
A few month ago I bought a new old set (11 pieces) Stanley 750 socket chisels. Hands down the best I have ever used. These are the chisels Lie nielsen copied. You can feel the difference in the steel quality when you sharpen them and they have a solid feel when using them. Highly recomend if you can find them. About the cordless drill. I prefer the $80 Hitachi 12v special at Lowes. Very light weight and great for drilling holes. If you want a screw shooter get the Hitachi 12v impact driver as well. I use both all the time and very inexpensive. I don't worry about super cordless tools they are too heavy for me and working mostly in a shop and not on installs I can always go to air tools for more torque.
Danny Birnbaum
DB Fine Furniture & Design
71 Glenwood Place
East Orange, NJ 07017
dbfinefurniture.com
mystry_tour

Post by mystry_tour »

Hey Pete
I have a dewalt 12 volt and i like it a lot. I have seen where the larger drills use a lot of bat. power and it runs the bats down faster but will wring your wrist with torque. I have a set of sorbys and I love them. I too have marples blue handel and they work nicely too if kept sharp
Tour
I fought to keep the Gov. in power......they keep screwing around I'll fight to get rid of them.
crzypete

Post by crzypete »

Pete,

I am a panasonic fan. The balance of their drills is really good and they stand up on the battery pack. For around the shop I agree with DB, I like the 12v drills, no need for any more weight. For construction I can understand wanting more power, still don't like the dewalts though, most i have used have been rather clunky.

For chisels, the marples blue handles used to be a nice chisel, until irwin started producing them. Now the steel and quality has gone down hill. I never like the material for the handles- I find they bounce when you strike them with a mallet. The shape of the handles has always been good. Don't worry though, My marbles blue handles are my glue scrapers and they save my better chisels a bunch of abuse.

I can't recommend a good everyday chisel. Make sure you feel the handle of whatever you buy and make sure it is comfortable to your hand.

I was able to first hand inspect the new lie-nielsens- the ones that DB said were copies of the stanley 750. They are amazingly well made. Last I checked though they are kinda pricey and worst of all they didn't/don't make a 1" chisel- my most used chisel.

I am not sure what the used market for stanley 750's is but they are nice socket handled chisels.

Pete