MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oliver 361 planer spindle bearing replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Rebuilding: Tips and Pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: oliver 361 planer spindle bearing replacement Reply with quote

I'm trying to remove the armature off the cuter cylinder to replace the bearings. Is there anything holding the armature on besides the key way and a press fit. It will not budge. Any help would be appreciated. Confused
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H iTodd, on my 399 I needed to modify my bearing puller to get it out. you can see the whole thread here http://machinejunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144 I have never worked on a 361, but would assume it is similar.

Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Crzypete
On the 361 you must remove the field 1st because the enclosed bearing housing is so large. Then the spindle will slide out. We been soaking the shaft with Kroil and used a hydraulic puller but it will not move at all. I don't see anything besides a key in the shaft. It does not seem right that this would pull off so hard. Was there any thing besides a key on the 399 ?

Thanks
Todd
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two set screws from below that held the windings in place.

Truthfully, It was a very long time ago and I don't fully remember why it was so hard. I mean it all looks so easy and matter of fact when I review the pictures!

Peter
Todd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I soaked it all night put the hydraulic puller on and she finally came off.It only took 35 ton and a small amount of heat. Would never have thought that it would take that much pressure. Went at it very carefully and all is good.

Thanks for your help
Todd Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Rebuilding: Tips and Pics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: