MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver nameplate repaint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Rebuilding: Tips and Pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzypete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Oliver nameplate repaint Reply with quote

Yes I know I am stupid, but you already knew that as well. When my new to me Oliver 399 planer arrived some moron had painted over the brass oliver nameplate. Well you knew I could not let that stay. So After initial attempts at scraping the paint, I decided a quick half hour in my dunk tank with some lacquer thinner might remove just the top layer of grey paint.

Six hours later when I remembered to remove it from the tank, I found that the original oliver paint did not dissolve in lacquer thinner and yet the grey top coat did, I was almost all set.

Except, the oliver lettering that was supposed to be white was missing all of it's white paint. No problem. I bought a can of rustoleum flat white and brushed it in. i figured I would protect the plate with a little of bartley's gel and give the white paint some gloss and patina at the same time.

Well here I am, the oliver is all painted in, but now I am looking at the black background. I am wondering should I go for the bart and be done, or do I keep going. I know I am asking for trouble, because if I do the background, I will also have to do the red and blue areas. If I stop now, It will have a used look, perhaps appropriate for a 60 year old machine. I am truly debating this. if I knew the black would come out perfectly, there would be no debate, I just foresee brushstrokes in my future.

OK, here's the pic

Last edited by crzypete on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
nektai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can try anything you want as long as the dunk tank will return you to the original state. Worst case you try it and if it sucks you end up having to re-do the white after a fresh dunk.
guzziguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's going to be covered in sawdust in a week don't worry about it. Has anybody heard from "the guest" did he leave for Baltimore? Mr. Green greenguy
crzypete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't worry about it, My machines would look like yours Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

i do like mr green Mr. Green he was hiding, but I liberated him.

I am assuming the guest is on the road, or maybe he just doesn't like us anymore Wink
mr douglas t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: name plate availability Reply with quote

all this discussion on the name plates helps me recall a source for the cast, raised letter name plates. I believe I Have Oliver, in two sizes, Yates american oval, and a Tannywitz or two.
crzypete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr douglas I believe that shameless self promotion belongs in the classifieds section.Laughing

BTW how much for one of them bad boys- I'd consider putting a larger one on the planer. Mr. Green
crzypete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started the black paint, and damn it makes a difference. It definitely has brush strokes, but I am going t try a little steel wool- perhaps after a second coat. I'm using flat black and it looks nice. I don't think i will be able to get a red or blue as flat paint, but perhaps the bartleys will blend the sheens.

will post pics when more progress is made.

pete
guzziguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use Ronan japan colors if you want flat paint. it's good quality paint, fine pigments, oil based. call jon paul he has all my paints if you want to use them you are more than welcom. I know I have some cobalt blue and red.
crzypete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guzziguy, It's funny, as I was laying in bed this morning I was thinking about posting a question to you about japan colors, We will see which wins out, My desire to get the tag painted or my patience to get the japan colors......

pete
crzypete

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's finally done. Here are the results.

I ended up brushing it, then not liking it, dunking it, spraying the black and brushing the rest.

it's all coated with bartleys- hopefully this will keep the brass nice and shiny.

next project weld up the dust hood.....

Pete
crzypete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last update to this thread.

As I paint and polish the rest of the tags on the planer I figured I might add a bit to my technique.

I have read of folks who have done this before, and their technique seems to always involve a hardblock with some fine sandpaper. I have found that this doesn't wok so well for me, especially with the dented areas of tags.

My best successes have come with 0000 steel wool, it just seems to work better.

pete[/i]
olivervice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: nameplate Reply with quote

You could just buy a new one. But that would spoil your fun.
crzypete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivervice- Didn't know, What does Rich get for one of thse badboys?

I did have fun Though- and I am using the developed techniques on other tags, so it wasn't time totally lost.

Pete
Ray Muno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the badge. I am working on a couple for my old Oliver machines.

One thing I would note is that the black areas on these tags were not painted originally. They were blackened chemically, probably with nitric acid. I used BrassBlack from Birchwood Casey and it works very well.

When they were made, I doubt they spent that much time on them. The whole tag was probably blackened. The red, blue and white in filled and the high areas cleaned to reveal the brass. On the ones I have seen, the white was painted over the blue.
crzypete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Interesting about the black, I had the same experience with the layering, my guess was the whole thing was silkscreened, then scuffed.

Pete
mystry_tour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ones cost $30 from Eagle
mystry_tour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone that is intrested in re building a 232-D Oliver I have many pics I would be willing to share with you
no more "PRC" machines
crzypete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mystry tour, I think we would all love to see. Do you have the ability to post pics? Start a new thread and wow us.

Pete
mystry_tour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen your work on the jointer pete....not gonna try to compete with that ......very nice[/list][/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Rebuilding: Tips and Pics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: