MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modifying a Hammond to accept a Dado stack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Hammond Glider Saws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzypete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Modifying a Hammond to accept a Dado stack Reply with quote

I have taken on the project for a friend to modify his hammond to accept a dado stack.

To accomplish this task, I am going to make an entirely new arbor to hold the blades, but still use the original bearing block set-up. The new arbor will slip through the bearings just like the original.

The first design quetsion that I put to the forum is the debate of threading the saw arbor. i do not think I am man enough to cut the acme threads that my unisaw uses. so the debate is between national fine and national coarse. Any thoughts? these will of course be left hand threads. any worries of using regular threads?

Pete
mr douglas t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Crzypete,
I once had an old table saw that needed a new shaft. And I was also concernred a about my manliness with the acme thread and was all set to cut standard threads. But a table saw needs acme threads...... The reaseon is to support the blade. Acme threads are flat on the top, which give surface area for the blade. A standard thread will have "V" on the top that will get knocked down during blade changes. They are also not very supportive. A dato stack makes it even worse. With the multiple thin dato blades, they will not be supported and may run out of center. You have to be a man, and step up to the acme. When I cut the threads, the ony real hard part is grinding the bit to the exact profile. It took me a while. How about getting a acme carbide insert?? that you make life easy. Good luck.
crzypete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is all done, I decided to create a smooth section of arbor to avoid the acme threads. There are two bushings to allow for different thickness stacks of blades. pics probably explain better

mystry_tour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete thats pretty slick....nice touch.....
Norton's Shop

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group and not sure if I need to do an intro, but will here. I've been a tool maker since the mid eighties and a tool designer for the past fifteen.

I've found a G-4B that I considering purchasing and would like to modify it to accept a dado stack. My questions are: How did you modify the table to accept the dado stack, and secondly, is a table insert used when a regular saw blade is in use.

Thanks,

Mike
crzypete

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

When I Did this modification, it was for a friend. He modified the table. So I don;t actually have pics.

The thing of note, is that we intended the dado stack to be entirely to the right of the rolling table, so only the small table on the right rear was altered. There is enough room to do this on the argo by eliminating the section that is intended to hold the steel cutters for trimming type.

As to making a wooden insert, that sounds like a great idea. It would be easy enough to step the dado stack hole.

I would definitely not want a hole there while using a regular blade..

Keep us posted of your project, Id love to see pics.

Pete
Norton's Shop

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I purchased the saw and will be driving to Illinois in three weeks to pick it up. The modifications will probably be a winter project, as summers in Minnesota are short with lots of things to do.

I'll keep everyone informed on progress.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Hammond Glider Saws All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: