MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Hammond G4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Hammond Glider Saws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevulan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: 3 phase Reply with quote

Hello

Not sure if anyone's still hanging about here.

I picked up a G4 this summer and it's in great shape, came from an operating letterpress shop. Only thing is, it has a 3 phase 1hp motor which I can't use at home. Should I swap this out with a single phase 1hp of similar specs, or get a converter so I can use the 3-phase?

If I swap the 3 phase motor out, are there any considerations beyond RPM? I might assume the motor contributes to the saw's function since it helps to weigh down the blade assembly.

Thanks

Mike
Daninvan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a VFD. They are cheap and simple to use. I have a couple in my shop, although my Glider is 1 Ph. An added bonus is that 3Ph motors are generally quieter than 1 Ph motors.

Dan
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I split your post off to give you your own thread.

Congrats on the saw, you will love it.

I never worried about the weight of the motor on the G4's, but I did change the motor tensioning system a little bit. The way Hammond engineered it was a bolt with a spring, but I found that bounced too much for my liking. I always tap that hole and use a threaded bolt to exert actual full time tension on the motor. I would recommend this for all G4's and G4b's

I'm not sure you will go wrong with any decision to power the saw. I will say that a motor swap is generally a lot of work. If you want, you can speed up the arbor a bit, this will get it closer to a regular woodworking saw. I never have and can't say I miss the extra speed.

Also, in swapping it out you will want to check the pulley size. Some of those older saws have a 3/4" shaft which is hard to find in modern motors. There are, of course, workarounds, but it translates to more work.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> Hammond Glider Saws All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: