MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yates #2 Shaper 1915-1925ish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buck shot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Yates #2 Shaper 1915-1925ish Reply with quote

Hey all,

I haven't been around in a long time, so hello and hope you're all well.

Hurricane Sandy decided that the roof of the building that houses my shop needed alterations, and borrowed a 40'x50' hunk of it. I'm one floor below the top floor, so it could have been worse, but it looks like my old Yates shaper is probably a total loss (among other things). It looks like it was dragged up from the ocean floor.

I'm having trouble finding a suitable way to assess the value of the thing - anyone have any ideas of where to get numbers on such an old machine?
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Buck,

Sorry to hear about the damage. I am still grappling from afar at how much devastation there was down there. We saw nothing at best. A far cry from Irene for us.

I am not sure about the condition of your shaper or the value. I would be pricing up a slightly more modern one at one of the purveyors of vintage machinery such as Bill Kerfoot or Pleasant street machinery. Let replacement value be your judge rather than trying to get the exact same machine.

Pete
buck shot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pete. You're probably right, though I might be looking at possible aid from the State or the Fed, in which case I'm not sure I can shoot for replacement.

By the way, you freak me out when you call me Buck - you know this is Scott Braun, right?
crzypete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I know you are The Scott Braun, but I just can;t help myself with such a great handle.

Seriously- really sorry to hear of the damage. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

-Crzy
buck shot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: