MachineJunkie Forum Index MachineJunkie
A site for addicts of classic woodworking machinery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shipyard Pictures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzypete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Shipyard Pictures Reply with quote

I was linked to this page from Practical Machinist and thought I'd share with everyone here. The photos are amazing and from a 1960's era shipyard and are amazing! I attended the Philadelphia navy yard auction in the early 2000's and these photos are definitely reminiscent of that scale of machinery. Its great seeing it in operation.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons
DenaliPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think those guys would make of CNC, CAD, and 3-D printers? (or other similar modern advances, such as hearing protection and eye protection!)

Definitely enjoyed seeing those. Thanks.
chathamworkshop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! If big is better, then this is the best. I especially liked the the crank shafts and piston rods. Never seen anything like it. I only hope our country still has the capability for doing this kind of work today. Thanks for sharing Pete.
Bill
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that shipyard is great. I have looked at the pics several times. The tonality of the prints really sets a nice stage to tell the story.

Bill, I do believe that that shop is in England, so perhaps it was not something America did back then. I do know there are a couple of members here who work at the Bath Iron works in Maine where some pretty impressive destroyers are still being made.

DP, hopefully they would be as awed as I am! But the eyewear and hearing protection..... yeah that might meet some resistance. Kinda like the Hockey players who were grandfathered in to not have to wear a helmet, that just seems so dumb now.

Pete
crzypete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are some pics I took at the philly Navy yard when it was auctioned. I have posted them before, but they are always worth another look. Shot in Black and White Slide film called Scala- the scans don't do them justice.

chathamworkshop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete: If I had bothered to read the introduction, I would have noticed that the shipyard was in the U.K. I scrolled ahead to see the pictures and never looked back! Assumptions always result in you know what.
The B & W pictures Philly Naval Yard look realistically to have been from the same period the Doxford Yard photos were taken, including the young man standing on the lathe and supersized fork lift!

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MachineJunkie Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: